Re: A new species?

  • Robin Henry
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
      Here's an interesting story on that line of thought. While we now have numerous nesting pairs of bald eagles nesting in the Roaring Fork Valley, that is a fairly recent development. They used to just winter here and move on when spring arrived. In April, 2003 we all got very exited when we witnessed the first pair of bald eagles attempting to nest here. They were using an old heron nest in the top of a cottonwood in the Ironwood development. We watched the nest anxiously, waiting to see the first eaglet hatched in the valley in a very long time, but when the egg did hatch it turned out to be a gosling. Obviously, a goose had started to use the nest and the eagles took over. The next year, a pair of eagles nested successfully in Aspen Glen and have been using that nest ever since.
    • Terry Meyers
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
        I have also encountered geese in raptor or raven nests several times, including on Strawberry Creek west of Meeker (Rio Blanco Co), in Unaweep Canyon (Mesa Co), and the encounter with Mike Grode on the Little Snake River in Moffat County.

        Terry Meyers

        On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Jim Le Fevre <jimlef@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Jim Le Fevre included below]

        Doing some raptor surveys along Loutsenhizer Arroyo between Olathe and
        Montrose I observed something I had never seen before. Surveying along
        the western side of the arroyo, coming to a wall of adobe that protruded
        into the arroyo, I could just make out the ends of some sticks on what
        looked to be a small ledge on an otherwise vertical wall. I couldn't see
        around the wall to glimpse the entirety of what I was sure was a raven
        nest. I would have to go around to the east side to get a good solid
        look. On the eastern side of the arroyo, I relocated the nest and sat
        down on the edge of the arroyo to see who might be home. Now, we have
        all heard of duck hawks and chicken hawks, but has anyone heard of a
        goose hawk? Yep, a goose sitting in a stick nest about 35 feet off the
        ground. What a completely ridiculous and intensely funny sight! So, if
        anyone else has encountered this phenomena, share your story. I am
        curious about other cliff dwelling geese. And always keep your eyes
        wide open for the wonders that you will see! And now the pictures....

        Jim Le Fevre
        Paonia, Colorado

      • Linda Powers
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
          I too have seen the wonderful Cottonwood
          Goose
          She was sitting almost at treetop on a raptor
          Nest in. Cottonwood off hwy 50 just outside
          Cimmeron

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • Dennis Garrison
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
            I have seen a goose in a red-tailed nest out towards the trap club in Cortez in the past.  Big stick nest in a cottonwood.  Pic link:

            http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/2010/P1030460lc.jpg

            Dennis Garrison

            To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
            I have seen and have picture of a goose in a previously used great horned owl nest which was formerly a collapsed magpie nest at Chatfield State Park.

            Rick

            To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

            Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

              I observed one in 2003 in an old heron’s nest (60 feet up) near Ridgeway State Park along the highway.

              Thanks for sharing the pictures!

              Kathleen Tadvick

              Education & Hunter Outreach Coordinator, NW Region

              Colorado Parks and Wildlife

              711 Independent Avenue

              Grand Junction, CO 81505

              970.255.6181

              970.255.6111 (fax)

            • Rick Harner
              Message 7 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

              To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

              Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
                Several years ago, my husband and I saw a goose nesting in a collapsed magpie nest very high up in one of the trees along the entrance to the Rifle rest area.  I took several pictures at the time, but would be hard put to find them now.  We were both very surprised to say the least.

                Ann Knutson
                Cedaredge

              • Ann Knutson
                Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012