Re: A new species?

  • Robin Henry
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6 6:44 AM
      Here's an interesting story on that line of thought. While we now have numerous nesting pairs of bald eagles nesting in the Roaring Fork Valley, that is a fairly recent development. They used to just winter here and move on when spring arrived. In April, 2003 we all got very exited when we witnessed the first pair of bald eagles attempting to nest here. They were using an old heron nest in the top of a cottonwood in the Ironwood development. We watched the nest anxiously, waiting to see the first eaglet hatched in the valley in a very long time, but when the egg did hatch it turned out to be a gosling. Obviously, a goose had started to use the nest and the eagles took over. The next year, a pair of eagles nested successfully in Aspen Glen and have been using that nest ever since.
    • Robin Nicholoff
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6 6:57 AM
        Hilarious!  It must be an extremely agile goose to be able to land there!  Maybe it's a Harrier Goose. ;=)

        Robin
        Hotchkiss

        On Apr 5, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Jim Le Fevre wrote:

        Doing some raptor surveys along Loutsenhizer Arroyo between Olathe and
        Montrose I observed something I had never seen before. Surveying along
        the western side of the arroyo, coming to a wall of adobe that protruded
        into the arroyo, I could just make out the ends of some sticks on what
        looked to be a small ledge on an otherwise vertical wall. I couldn't see
        around the wall to glimpse the entirety of what I was sure was a raven
        nest. I would have to go around to the east side to get a good solid
        look. On the eastern side of the arroyo, I relocated the nest and sat
        down on the edge of the arroyo to see who might be home. Now, we have
        all heard of duck hawks and chicken hawks, but has anyone heard of a
        goose hawk? Yep, a goose sitting in a stick nest about 35 feet off the
        ground. What a completely ridiculous and intensely funny sight! So, if
        anyone else has encountered this phenomena, share your story. I am
        curious about other cliff dwelling geese. And always keep your eyes
        wide open for the wonders that you will see! And now the pictures....

        Jim Le Fevre
        Paonia, Colorado

      • Potter, Kim M -FS
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6 7:41 AM

          I too have encountered a cliff dwelling Goose Hawk.  In Routt County, east of Hayden along Highway 40.  Just after the Nature Conservancy property and past county road 70 after the highway crosses the Yampa River.  There is a big cliff on the north side of the highway and I have seen a goose on a nest way up in a nook in the cliff. Fun.

          Kim

          -------------------------------------

                  Kim M. Potter

                 Wildlife Technician

          White River National Forest

                Rifle Ranger District

                    0094 County Road 244

                    Rifle, CO 81650

                    (970) 625-6860

                 kmpotter@...

          -------------------------------------

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6 8:45 AM
              I too have seen the wonderful Cottonwood
              Goose
              She was sitting almost at treetop on a raptor
              Nest in. Cottonwood off hwy 50 just outside
              Cimmeron

              Sent from my iPhone

[...]

            • Dennis Garrison
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6 10:30 AM
                I have seen a goose in a red-tailed nest out towards the trap club in Cortez in the past.  Big stick nest in a cottonwood.  Pic link:

                http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/2010/P1030460lc.jpg

                Dennis Garrison

                To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 6 11:10 AM
                • 1 Attachment
                • 240 KB
                I have seen and have picture of a goose in a previously used great horned owl nest which was formerly a collapsed magpie nest at Chatfield State Park.

                Rick

                To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6 1:31 PM

                  I observed one in 2003 in an old heron’s nest (60 feet up) near Ridgeway State Park along the highway.

                  Thanks for sharing the pictures!

                  Kathleen Tadvick

                  Education & Hunter Outreach Coordinator, NW Region

                  Colorado Parks and Wildlife

                  711 Independent Avenue

                  Grand Junction, CO 81505

                  970.255.6181

                  970.255.6111 (fax)

                • Rick Harner
                  Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6 1:34 PM
                  • 1 Attachment

                  To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6 4:00 PM
                    Several years ago, my husband and I saw a goose nesting in a collapsed magpie nest very high up in one of the trees along the entrance to the Rifle rest area.  I took several pictures at the time, but would be hard put to find them now.  We were both very surprised to say the least.

                    Ann Knutson
                    Cedaredge

                  • Ann Knutson
                    Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6 9:04 PM