RE: [wsbn] A new species? [2 Attachments]

  • MICHAEL R GRODE
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5, 2012
      I have observed this unusual species, the "cliff dwelling Canada goose", on the Little Snake River northwest of Craig about 3 years ago. We were looking for raptors and there it was. I guess if the nest fits, use it!

      Mike Grode
      Palisade, CO

      To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com
      From: jimlef@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 18:55:11 -0600
      Subject: [wsbn] A new species? [2 Attachments]

      [Attachment(s) from Jim Le Fevre included below] Doing some raptor surveys along Loutsenhizer Arroyo between Olathe and
      Montrose I observed something I had never seen before. Surveying along
      the western side of the arroyo, coming to a wall of adobe that protruded
      into the arroyo, I could just make out the ends of some sticks on what
      looked to be a small ledge on an otherwise vertical wall. I couldn't see
      around the wall to glimpse the entirety of what I was sure was a raven
      nest. I would have to go around to the east side to get a good solid
      look. On the eastern side of the arroyo, I relocated the nest and sat
      down on the edge of the arroyo to see who might be home. Now, we have
      all heard of duck hawks and chicken hawks, but has anyone heard of a
      goose hawk? Yep, a goose sitting in a stick nest about 35 feet off the
      ground. What a completely ridiculous and intensely funny sight! So, if
      anyone else has encountered this phenomena, share your story. I am
      curious about other cliff dwelling geese. And always keep your eyes
      wide open for the wonders that you will see! And now the pictures....

      Jim Le Fevre
      Paonia, Colorado

    • Robin Henry
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
        Here's an interesting story on that line of thought. While we now have numerous nesting pairs of bald eagles nesting in the Roaring Fork Valley, that is a fairly recent development. They used to just winter here and move on when spring arrived. In April, 2003 we all got very exited when we witnessed the first pair of bald eagles attempting to nest here. They were using an old heron nest in the top of a cottonwood in the Ironwood development. We watched the nest anxiously, waiting to see the first eaglet hatched in the valley in a very long time, but when the egg did hatch it turned out to be a gosling. Obviously, a goose had started to use the nest and the eagles took over. The next year, a pair of eagles nested successfully in Aspen Glen and have been using that nest ever since.
      • Robin Nicholoff
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
          Hilarious!  It must be an extremely agile goose to be able to land there!  Maybe it's a Harrier Goose. ;=)

          Robin
          Hotchkiss

[...]

        • Potter, Kim M -FS
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

            Greetings,

            I too have encountered a cliff dwelling Goose Hawk.  In Routt County, east of Hayden along Highway 40.  Just after the Nature Conservancy property and past county road 70 after the highway crosses the Yampa River.  There is a big cliff on the north side of the highway and I have seen a goose on a nest way up in a nook in the cliff. Fun.

            Kim

            -------------------------------------

                    Kim M. Potter

                   Wildlife Technician

            White River National Forest

                  Rifle Ranger District

                      0094 County Road 244

                      Rifle, CO 81650

                      (970) 625-6860

                   kmpotter@...

            -------------------------------------

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
                I too have seen the wonderful Cottonwood
                Goose
                She was sitting almost at treetop on a raptor
                Nest in. Cottonwood off hwy 50 just outside
                Cimmeron

                Sent from my iPhone

[...]

              • Dennis Garrison
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
                  I have seen a goose in a red-tailed nest out towards the trap club in Cortez in the past.  Big stick nest in a cottonwood.  Pic link:

                  http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/2010/P1030460lc.jpg

                  Dennis Garrison

                  To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
                  I have seen and have picture of a goose in a previously used great horned owl nest which was formerly a collapsed magpie nest at Chatfield State Park.

                  Rick

                  To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

                    I observed one in 2003 in an old heron’s nest (60 feet up) near Ridgeway State Park along the highway.

                    Thanks for sharing the pictures!

                    Kathleen Tadvick

                    Education & Hunter Outreach Coordinator, NW Region

                    Colorado Parks and Wildlife

                    711 Independent Avenue

                    Grand Junction, CO 81505

                    970.255.6181

                    970.255.6111 (fax)

                  • Rick Harner
                    Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

                    To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
                      Several years ago, my husband and I saw a goose nesting in a collapsed magpie nest very high up in one of the trees along the entrance to the Rifle rest area.  I took several pictures at the time, but would be hard put to find them now.  We were both very surprised to say the least.

                      Ann Knutson
                      Cedaredge

                    • Ann Knutson
                      Message 12 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012