A new species?

  • Jim Le Fevre
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5 5:55 PM
    Doing some raptor surveys along Loutsenhizer Arroyo between Olathe and
    Montrose I observed something I had never seen before. Surveying along
    the western side of the arroyo, coming to a wall of adobe that protruded
    into the arroyo, I could just make out the ends of some sticks on what
    looked to be a small ledge on an otherwise vertical wall. I couldn't see
    around the wall to glimpse the entirety of what I was sure was a raven
    nest. I would have to go around to the east side to get a good solid
    look. On the eastern side of the arroyo, I relocated the nest and sat
    down on the edge of the arroyo to see who might be home. Now, we have
    all heard of duck hawks and chicken hawks, but has anyone heard of a
    goose hawk? Yep, a goose sitting in a stick nest about 35 feet off the
    ground. What a completely ridiculous and intensely funny sight! So, if
    anyone else has encountered this phenomena, share your story. I am
    curious about other cliff dwelling geese. And always keep your eyes
    wide open for the wonders that you will see! And now the pictures....

    Jim Le Fevre
    Paonia, Colorado
  • lucindacarr@mesacanyonstudio.com
    Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5 7:19 PM
      Jim, when I lived in Fort Collins between 1998 and 2005 I observed a Canada goose nesting on top of an osprey nesting pole/platform along Prospect Ponds. I never saw the goslings leave the nest but I am sure it was a frightful drop! Lucinda Carr/Norwood

      Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5 9:01 PM
        I have observed this unusual species, the "cliff dwelling Canada goose", on the Little Snake River northwest of Craig about 3 years ago. We were looking for raptors and there it was. I guess if the nest fits, use it!

        Mike Grode
        Palisade, CO

        To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

        Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6 6:44 AM
          Here's an interesting story on that line of thought. While we now have numerous nesting pairs of bald eagles nesting in the Roaring Fork Valley, that is a fairly recent development. They used to just winter here and move on when spring arrived. In April, 2003 we all got very exited when we witnessed the first pair of bald eagles attempting to nest here. They were using an old heron nest in the top of a cottonwood in the Ironwood development. We watched the nest anxiously, waiting to see the first eaglet hatched in the valley in a very long time, but when the egg did hatch it turned out to be a gosling. Obviously, a goose had started to use the nest and the eagles took over. The next year, a pair of eagles nested successfully in Aspen Glen and have been using that nest ever since.
        • Robin Nicholoff
          Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6 6:57 AM
            Hilarious!  It must be an extremely agile goose to be able to land there!  Maybe it's a Harrier Goose. ;=)

            Robin
            Hotchkiss

[...]

          • Potter, Kim M -FS
            Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6 7:41 AM

              I too have encountered a cliff dwelling Goose Hawk.  In Routt County, east of Hayden along Highway 40.  Just after the Nature Conservancy property and past county road 70 after the highway crosses the Yampa River.  There is a big cliff on the north side of the highway and I have seen a goose on a nest way up in a nook in the cliff. Fun.

              Kim

              -------------------------------------

                      Kim M. Potter

                     Wildlife Technician

              White River National Forest

                    Rifle Ranger District

                        0094 County Road 244

                        Rifle, CO 81650

                        (970) 625-6860

                     kmpotter@...

              -------------------------------------

                Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6 8:45 AM
                  I too have seen the wonderful Cottonwood
                  Goose
                  She was sitting almost at treetop on a raptor
                  Nest in. Cottonwood off hwy 50 just outside
                  Cimmeron

                  Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                • Dennis Garrison
                  Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6 10:30 AM
                    I have seen a goose in a red-tailed nest out towards the trap club in Cortez in the past.  Big stick nest in a cottonwood.  Pic link:

                    http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/2010/P1030460lc.jpg

                    Dennis Garrison

                    To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6 11:10 AM
                    • 1 Attachment
                    • 240 KB
                    I have seen and have picture of a goose in a previously used great horned owl nest which was formerly a collapsed magpie nest at Chatfield State Park.

                    Rick

                    To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6 1:31 PM

                      I observed one in 2003 in an old heron’s nest (60 feet up) near Ridgeway State Park along the highway.

                      Thanks for sharing the pictures!

                      Kathleen Tadvick

                      Education & Hunter Outreach Coordinator, NW Region

                      Colorado Parks and Wildlife

                      711 Independent Avenue

                      Grand Junction, CO 81505

                      970.255.6181

                      970.255.6111 (fax)

                    • Rick Harner
                      Message 12 of 14 , Apr 6 1:34 PM
                      • 1 Attachment

                      To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 13 of 14 , Apr 6 4:00 PM
                        Several years ago, my husband and I saw a goose nesting in a collapsed magpie nest very high up in one of the trees along the entrance to the Rifle rest area.  I took several pictures at the time, but would be hard put to find them now.  We were both very surprised to say the least.

                        Ann Knutson
                        Cedaredge

                      • Ann Knutson
                        Message 14 of 14 , Apr 6 9:04 PM