Roaring Fork Saturday (Garfield Cty)

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2012

      Hi all

      Spent a couple of hours birding locally this morning..

      Had Great Horned Owls in two different localities – one on a nest

      Diurnal raptors were in general few and far between, with a few Red-tailed Hawks and single Kestrel

      I have still not seen a Rough-legged Hawk in the valley this winter..

      Barrow’s Goldeneyes continue to feed on the Roaring Fork river just below the Catherine Store Rd bridge, Carbondale (Garfield Cty). This morning 2 males and 4 females

      Back at the house, still a few Lesser Goldfinches, Cassin’s Finches, and a 1st year Golden Eagle flew over.

      Good birding all

      Dick Filby

      Carbondale, CO

    • Dick Filby
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2016

        Hi all

        Al Levantin had errands in Glenwood on this warm, spring-like day, so we spent a few minutes birding, and later I returned to Satank Road, Carbondale, at dusk to count Barrows

        Highlights included

        Carbondale

        Richardson’s Cackling Goose still with the Canadas near the hwy82 Catherine Store light, and 2 Hooded Mergansers close by at Ranch at Roaring Fork.

        Bald Eagle seemingly now on eggs at the Aspen Glen nest, with mate in attendance a few feet away.

        202 Barrow’s Goldeneyes viewed from Satank Road at dusk, plus the family of 3 feral Trumpeter Swans (one immature)

        Glenwood Springs

        At least two Barrow’s Goldeneyes on the Colorado by Devreux Road, along with at least one Killdeer there, and it or another at Two Rivers Park

        No sign of the (elusive) White-throated Sparrow today – but it visited briefly yesterday

        2 Lewis’s Woodpeckers continue

        Best wishes

        Dick Filby

        Carbondale, Garfield Cty