Raptors -- Delta County

  • Jim Le Fevre
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2012
      I went out and checked out activity at the bald eagle nests and all
      THREE are active. One pair along the Gunnison is in a new nest. The
      third (as far as I know) and newly active in Delta County nest is near
      Hotchkiss. No eagle activity at the GBH colony near Hotchkiss. All of
      the golden nests previously looked at are also active. I also looked at
      quite a few red-tail nests but found no incubation going on just yet.
      At a couple sites where birds were observed on the nest, it appeared
      that housecleaning activities were the business of the day.

      I didn't see any rough-leggeds so perhaps their winter vacation is over
      and they are on their way back north. A prairie falcon and a lone
      harrier rounded out the sightings.

      Jim Le Fevre
      Paonia