Re: RFI - Rosy-finches

  • Shawn Conner
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hello,

      A little known area to see rosy finches in winter is along the adobe hills southeast of Montrose.

      We regularly see flocks of 300-400 foraging on the ground in the salt desert scrub, mostly on snow free south facing slopes.

      Areas within the adobe badlands around Montrose may be a historical and native over-wintering habitat for rosy finches in this area.

      The birds are a bit eruptive, and sightings are not guaranteed, but seeing and hearing a flock of 350 all moving together foraging en-mass on the ground from shrub to shrub is a fantastic sight.

      Good luck,

      S. Conner
      Montrose