Rosy-Finches @ Snowmass, and other Roaring Fork Valley birds

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2012

      Hi all,

      Great to be back in CO after two excellent trips “South” (‘Antarctica’, and ‘Antarctica, The Falklands & South Georgia’).

      Wow – been going there for 22 years, and it never gets old!

      Some recent sightings from the Roaring Fork valley:

      Yesterday, Wednesday 29 Feb, was at Snowmass ski area doing my weekly free bird tour..  We enjoyed some great Rosy-Finch action.

      PLUS it was a beautiful, sunny day, between the snowstorms (today it is dumping again like crazy), so the skiing is GREAT

      30+ Brown-capped Rosy-Finches

      20+Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches (mainly of the coastal form - Hepburn’s)

      Also Gray Jays, Steller’s Jays, and Mountain Chickadees.

      I also heard that the American Marten (Pine Marten) has been a regular visitor in recent days at the other feeder on the hill (at the top of the Gondola).

      Back home, an adult  Northern Shrike grabbed a Pine Siskin in the yard and flew off with it, carrying it in its bill. GREAT sight!

      Cassin’s Finches are back in the yard, and a couple of Evening Grosbeak flyovers (so it must be almost spring !)

      Lesser Goldfinches are hanging in, and a flock of Cedar Waxwings dropped by too

      Also around Carbondale:

      9 Barrow’s Goldeneyes on the Roaring Fork just below Catherine Store road bridge

      2 Barrow’s Goldeneyes on the private ponds at Ranch at Roaring Fork

      Good birding all

      Dick Filby

      Carbondale, CO