RFI - Rosy-finches

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2012

      Are Rosy-finch species currently being seen anywhere on the west slope (other than Snowmass Ski Area) with regularity?

      Thanks!

      Larry

    • Arden Anderson/Kathy Norris
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2012
        Hi Folks,
        We are regularly getting Rosy Finches at a feeder up Steuben Creek about 9 miles west of Gunnison

        Arden Anderson
        kankan@...
        (970) 641-5322
        Thought for the day
        We abuse land and natural resources because we view them as commodities that belong to us.
        When we see nature as a community to which we belong we may begin to treat it with care and respect.
      • Shawn Conner
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2012
          Hello,

          A little known area to see rosy finches in winter is along the adobe hills southeast of Montrose.

          We regularly see flocks of 300-400 foraging on the ground in the salt desert scrub, mostly on snow free south facing slopes.

          Areas within the adobe badlands around Montrose may be a historical and native over-wintering habitat for rosy finches in this area.

          The birds are a bit eruptive, and sightings are not guaranteed, but seeing and hearing a flock of 350 all moving together foraging en-mass on the ground from shrub to shrub is a fantastic sight.

          Good luck,

          S. Conner
          Montrose