northern pygmy owls, lower Dolores river

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2012
      Upstream from Bradfield Bridge today I found two separate northern pygmy owls perched and hunting.  Other birds in the canyon included numerous Townsend's solitaires, chickadees, juncos, a kingfisher, a Clark's nutcracker, one red-tailed, and a hairy woodpecker.

      Near Cortez today I did a GBBC for Nielson's pond (mostly redheads), Denny Lake (mostly redheads with a handful of canvasback plus one marsh wren), and Totten (coots by the hundreds, 150 common mergansers, rb gulls, some ruddy ducks, and a killdeer).  Other birds on all those counts but those were the interesting ones.

      pygmy owl

      Dennis Garrison
      Cortez for the weekend

      PS I hate this keyboard