Sunday Raptor Field Trip results - Delta Co. (Feb 12)

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2012
    Well, I thought that Saturday's results were going to be hard to beat, but Jim LeFevre and his group of field trip attendees shattered our count with a total of 115 diurnal raptors yesterday!

    Here is the list:

    Bald Eagle – 43

    Red-tailed Hawk – 24 (includes same Harlan’s found on Sat; in same location)

    Golden Eagle – 16

    American Kestrel – 14

    Rough-legged Hawk – 11

    Northern  Harrier – 4

    Peregrine Falcon – 2 (interesting that we had 3 Prairie Falcons on Sat!)

    Unidentified Falcon – 1

    Wow - The Bald Eagles have invaded!  Could the influx be due to the calving that is about to begin in the many pastures in our count area?  It does seem that this "not-so-natural" phenomenon certainly lures the eagles into the area.  Where are the Merlins?  1 N. Shrike was seen on Sunday also.

    Thanks to all the participants and donations.  We raised $80 for the Ridgway Fall banding station.

    As Larry says: Just for fun, attached is a list showing the tallies of the count and some scouting trips since 2006.

    --

    Jason Beason
    Paonia - Delta County