Hart's Basin

  • Evelyn Horn
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 21, 2006
      Cranes, coming in in the snow this PM
      Count: 2,173 at about 5:30 PM. Tune in tomorrow:-)
      Hot-line is Leo & Donna at 835-4560

      Keep forgetting to mention:
      Canada Geese, Common Mergansers, Mallards, Shovelers, Green-winged & Cinnamon Teal, American Wigeon, Pintail, Gadwall, Golden-eye, Coots +++.
      Bald Eagle feeding, Rough-leg, scavenging Ravens
      Nice Place :-)
      Evey Horn
    • Andrea Robinsong
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2007
        MARCH 1, 2007

        Still some ice, lots of slushy-ice and plenty of open water.

        DUCKS!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !
        Mallard of course, plus Ring-necks, Redheads, Pintails, Gadwalls, American Wigeons, Common Merganser, Green-winged Teal.Three Great Blues and I think I spotted Dave Galinat's reported Ferruginous in flight.

        What a grand place!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!

        Evey Horn

        thanks, Evey!!!! I'm looking forward to your first crane report.
         I stopped by several days ago and forgot to report that I counted 16 nests in the heronry  that were staked out by either one or two birds.  I tried to see if there appeared to be any incubating birds, but didn't see any heads poking up from the nests.

        andrea robinsong
        _
      • Jacob C Cooper
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 3, 2007
          Yesterday, my dad and I checked out Hart's Basin on our way to a wedding in
          Eckert, and saw three American Bitterns flying over the marsh on the west side
          of the channel, providing great views. We also had one Clark's Grebe and
          several Western Grebes on the lake. Back in Eckert, there was a pair of
          Lewis's Woodpeckers at the Eckert Presbyterian Church across the road from the
          Hart's Basin turn off and the "Big E" store.

          Jacob Cooper
        • Evelyn Horn
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 12, 2008
            Saturday, Oct. 11

            5 Pelicans,  Geese,Ducks,  Great Blues
            8 Sandhill Cranes

            Sunday, Oct. 12
            the 8 Cranes were sighted in a field adjacent to the reservoir at 8 AM this morning
            This evening I found no Pelicans. Geese etc. were there. three cranes near water near the pipeline. I presume them to be a family :-)

            Evey Horn

          • Evelyn Horn
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
              Hi!
              I'm back from a marvelous trip to see those Lesser Sandhill Crane in Nebraska. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              But happiness is having your own "crane pond."
              600 cranes tonight roosting in the northwest pond. LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Evey Horn
            • Evelyn Horn
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009
                Wed., April 8

                Take off this morning was 1600 Sandhill Cranes :-)
                Evening count (7:30 PM) @ 470

                counts by Jim Wallace of Eckert

                Evey Horn
              • Evelyn Horn
                Message 7 of 16 , May 31 5:31 PM
                  May 31, 2009

                  Water's Up & we have north ponds
                  Birds plentiful :-)
                  Neighbor on our east (adjacent to Vela property) had 4 Sandhills near the back door last nite!!
                  /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                  From International Crane Foundation this past week:
                  5 active nests with ultralite Whoopers returning from Florida.
                  One pair nested in 2006, had two chicks, fledged one that has returned this spring---with a mate!

                  HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.

                  Evey Horn

                • Evelyn Horn
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Monday, June 8

                    Water is very high, north ponds are full.

                    Pelican, Ibis, Cormorant, Great Blue.
                    Lots of Western Grebe but I couldn't find any young.
                    One pair of Eared Grebe, several Pied-Billed Grebe calling.
                    Sky full of swallows!
                    Three Caspian Tern along the northeast pond.
                    Great Place :-)
                    Evey Horn
                  • leon stigen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 19, 2010
                      Ok Folks, this will have to be brief because it's quite late and I'm beat. Today, I birded Cheney Reservoir, Confluence Park in Delta(probably over 100 cedar waxwings), Sweitzer State Park, and Hart's. Things didn't really come alive until I had been at Hart's for an hour or so, I arrived, I don''t know, somewhere around 1:30-the hottest part of the day. Anyway, the first really cool birds were 9 greater yellowlegs,2 wf ibises, and 5 marbled godwits just as you are coming on to the causeway on the narrow mud flats on the right. I stayed at Hart's right up until 5PM. I saw what at first appeared to be 17 Franklin's gulls out in the open water on the right. Nope, 17 Bonaparte's gulls, Nope,again: 16 Bonaparte's gulls and one Forster's tern(yes, on the water with the gulls, its long forked tail sticking up in the air behind it). When the tern finally started flying my way, I was thrilled because I really love to watch terns in flight!
                         I'm not going to list here all of the birds I saw down there today. They are ALL great birds, but I was looking especially for the willet and the American Bittern that Dennis Garrison posted a couple of days ago. I finally got two willets, but only because they started calling and then flying as it got cooler. Those birds are often really hard to see when they land and are feeding in the tall grass! Then, just as I was getting ready to leave, one lady who was part of a birding group from back east spooked an American bittern who was probably hidden there just off of the causeway on the north side the whole time I was there(what, 31/2 hours?!!!). I was standing right next to Evey Horn, the Crane Lady, and had just told her that one other bird tour leader had asked me if I had seen a bittern earlier. Right at that moment, the bittern flew up and flew off just a little ways before settling in again in a more remote spot back in the "tulies". Evey is just plain GREAT luck. She will always be THE QUEEN OF HART's BASIN to me!!!
                         That's all for now, folks, as they say at the end of the LOONEY TUNES cartoons.
                         Lee Stigen,
                         Grand Junction
                    • Geoff Tischbein

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 5, 2010
                          The water continues to go down (as expected in August).
                          White Pelicans, Great Blue, Cormorant, Geese, Ducks and some far-away shorebirds.

                          I saw an Eastern Kingbird two days ago
                          on Ward Creek Road.

                          Evey Horn
                        • Evelyn Horn
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 17, 2010
                            Wednesday, November 17.  6 pm

                            The water level is coming up. Lots of birds.
                            And 190 Sandhill Cranes :-)

                            Question:
                            Are these passing through? Or just hanging around!
                            Jim Wallace reported about 400 at the Escalante
                            area (on Tuesday, 11-16).

                            Evey Horn
                          • Evelyn Horn
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 13, 2011
                              Last night (Wed.) I had 41 cranes.
                              This am Jim W. counted 78--so I'll take his count:-)
                              Tonight (Thur) Oct.13, Jim found 250 more.
                              Migration is upon us :-)
                              Evey Horn
                            • Evelyn Horn
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 6, 2013
                                Hi To Everyone,
                                Tomorrow morning (Thursday) I’m leaving for the Monte Vista Crane Festival.
                                I’ll talk about WHOOPERS on Saturday. Probably start back home on Sunday.
                                IF YOU SEE/HEAR CRANES IN OUR AREA, PLEASE DO POST!!
                                I’LL CATCH UP ON THE LOG WHEN I RETURN.
                                HAPPY BIRDING!!!
                                Evey Horn
                              • Bob Bradley
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 23, 2013
                                  Just returned from there, having seen not one, but two Caspian Terns, also many Marbled Godwits, avocets, at least 2 Black-necked Stilts, about 20 White-faced Ibis, a few Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Long-billed Dowitchers, and at least 2 Willets. I saw Evey there and she had counted 12 Sandhill Cranes. Ducks included at least one Blue-winged Teal.

                                  Bob Bradley
                                • Evelyn Horn
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 16, 2014
                                    Sunday, march 16, 2014. 9 PM
                                    A grand total of seven (yes, 7) Sandhills tonight.
                                    Keep tuned.
                                    Evey Horn