Hart's Basin

  • Evelyn Horn
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 21, 2006
      Cranes, coming in in the snow this PM
      Count: 2,173 at about 5:30 PM. Tune in tomorrow:-)
      Hot-line is Leo & Donna at 835-4560

      Keep forgetting to mention:
      Canada Geese, Common Mergansers, Mallards, Shovelers, Green-winged & Cinnamon Teal, American Wigeon, Pintail, Gadwall, Golden-eye, Coots +++.
      Bald Eagle feeding, Rough-leg, scavenging Ravens
      Nice Place :-)
      Evey Horn
    • Andrea Robinsong
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 2, 2007
        MARCH 1, 2007

        Still some ice, lots of slushy-ice and plenty of open water.

        DUCKS!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !
        Mallard of course, plus Ring-necks, Redheads, Pintails, Gadwalls, American Wigeons, Common Merganser, Green-winged Teal.Three Great Blues and I think I spotted Dave Galinat's reported Ferruginous in flight.

        What a grand place!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!

        Evey Horn

        thanks, Evey!!!! I'm looking forward to your first crane report.
         I stopped by several days ago and forgot to report that I counted 16 nests in the heronry  that were staked out by either one or two birds.  I tried to see if there appeared to be any incubating birds, but didn't see any heads poking up from the nests.

        andrea robinsong
        _
      • Jacob C Cooper
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 3, 2007
          Yesterday, my dad and I checked out Hart's Basin on our way to a wedding in
          Eckert, and saw three American Bitterns flying over the marsh on the west side
          of the channel, providing great views. We also had one Clark's Grebe and
          several Western Grebes on the lake. Back in Eckert, there was a pair of
          Lewis's Woodpeckers at the Eckert Presbyterian Church across the road from the
          Hart's Basin turn off and the "Big E" store.

          Jacob Cooper
        • Evelyn Horn
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 12, 2008
            Saturday, Oct. 11

            5 Pelicans,  Geese,Ducks,  Great Blues
            8 Sandhill Cranes

            Sunday, Oct. 12
            the 8 Cranes were sighted in a field adjacent to the reservoir at 8 AM this morning
            This evening I found no Pelicans. Geese etc. were there. three cranes near water near the pipeline. I presume them to be a family :-)

            Evey Horn

          • Evelyn Horn
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 6, 2009
              Hi!
              I'm back from a marvelous trip to see those Lesser Sandhill Crane in Nebraska. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

              But happiness is having your own "crane pond."
              600 cranes tonight roosting in the northwest pond. LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Evey Horn
            • Evelyn Horn
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 8, 2009
                Wed., April 8

                Take off this morning was 1600 Sandhill Cranes :-)
                Evening count (7:30 PM) @ 470

                counts by Jim Wallace of Eckert

                Evey Horn
              • Evelyn Horn
                Message 7 of 24 , May 31, 2009
                  May 31, 2009

                  Water's Up & we have north ponds
                  Birds plentiful :-)
                  Neighbor on our east (adjacent to Vela property) had 4 Sandhills near the back door last nite!!
                  /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                  From International Crane Foundation this past week:
                  5 active nests with ultralite Whoopers returning from Florida.
                  One pair nested in 2006, had two chicks, fledged one that has returned this spring---with a mate!

                  HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL.

                  Evey Horn

                • Evelyn Horn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Monday, June 8

                    Water is very high, north ponds are full.

                    Pelican, Ibis, Cormorant, Great Blue.
                    Lots of Western Grebe but I couldn't find any young.
                    One pair of Eared Grebe, several Pied-Billed Grebe calling.
                    Sky full of swallows!
                    Three Caspian Tern along the northeast pond.
                    Great Place :-)
                    Evey Horn
                  • leon stigen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 19, 2010
                      Ok Folks, this will have to be brief because it's quite late and I'm beat. Today, I birded Cheney Reservoir, Confluence Park in Delta(probably over 100 cedar waxwings), Sweitzer State Park, and Hart's. Things didn't really come alive until I had been at Hart's for an hour or so, I arrived, I don''t know, somewhere around 1:30-the hottest part of the day. Anyway, the first really cool birds were 9 greater yellowlegs,2 wf ibises, and 5 marbled godwits just as you are coming on to the causeway on the narrow mud flats on the right. I stayed at Hart's right up until 5PM. I saw what at first appeared to be 17 Franklin's gulls out in the open water on the right. Nope, 17 Bonaparte's gulls, Nope,again: 16 Bonaparte's gulls and one Forster's tern(yes, on the water with the gulls, its long forked tail sticking up in the air behind it). When the tern finally started flying my way, I was thrilled because I really love to watch terns in flight!
                         I'm not going to list here all of the birds I saw down there today. They are ALL great birds, but I was looking especially for the willet and the American Bittern that Dennis Garrison posted a couple of days ago. I finally got two willets, but only because they started calling and then flying as it got cooler. Those birds are often really hard to see when they land and are feeding in the tall grass! Then, just as I was getting ready to leave, one lady who was part of a birding group from back east spooked an American bittern who was probably hidden there just off of the causeway on the north side the whole time I was there(what, 31/2 hours?!!!). I was standing right next to Evey Horn, the Crane Lady, and had just told her that one other bird tour leader had asked me if I had seen a bittern earlier. Right at that moment, the bittern flew up and flew off just a little ways before settling in again in a more remote spot back in the "tulies". Evey is just plain GREAT luck. She will always be THE QUEEN OF HART's BASIN to me!!!
                         That's all for now, folks, as they say at the end of the LOONEY TUNES cartoons.
                         Lee Stigen,
                         Grand Junction
                    • Geoff Tischbein

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 5, 2010
                          The water continues to go down (as expected in August).
                          White Pelicans, Great Blue, Cormorant, Geese, Ducks and some far-away shorebirds.

                          I saw an Eastern Kingbird two days ago
                          on Ward Creek Road.

                          Evey Horn
                        • Evelyn Horn
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 17, 2010
                            Wednesday, November 17.  6 pm

                            The water level is coming up. Lots of birds.
                            And 190 Sandhill Cranes :-)

                            Question:
                            Are these passing through? Or just hanging around!
                            Jim Wallace reported about 400 at the Escalante
                            area (on Tuesday, 11-16).

                            Evey Horn
                          • Evelyn Horn
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 13, 2011
                              Last night (Wed.) I had 41 cranes.
                              This am Jim W. counted 78--so I'll take his count:-)
                              Tonight (Thur) Oct.13, Jim found 250 more.
                              Migration is upon us :-)
                              Evey Horn
                            • Evelyn Horn
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 6, 2013
                                Hi To Everyone,
                                Tomorrow morning (Thursday) I’m leaving for the Monte Vista Crane Festival.
                                I’ll talk about WHOOPERS on Saturday. Probably start back home on Sunday.
                                IF YOU SEE/HEAR CRANES IN OUR AREA, PLEASE DO POST!!
                                I’LL CATCH UP ON THE LOG WHEN I RETURN.
                                HAPPY BIRDING!!!
                                Evey Horn
                              • Bob Bradley
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 23, 2013
                                  Just returned from there, having seen not one, but two Caspian Terns, also many Marbled Godwits, avocets, at least 2 Black-necked Stilts, about 20 White-faced Ibis, a few Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Long-billed Dowitchers, and at least 2 Willets. I saw Evey there and she had counted 12 Sandhill Cranes. Ducks included at least one Blue-winged Teal.

                                  Bob Bradley
                                • Evelyn Horn
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 16, 2014
                                    Sunday, march 16, 2014. 9 PM
                                    A grand total of seven (yes, 7) Sandhills tonight.
                                    Keep tuned.
                                    Evey Horn
                                  • Evelyn Horn
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 13, 2015
                                      Lots of Western Grebe with chicks!
                                      Evey Horn
                                    • Evelyn Horn
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 9, 2016
                                        Wednesday, March 6, 2016. 8 PM

                                        To date, we have about 2,400 sandhills at the Basin.
                                        There were more this evening.
                                        Check tomorrow for an update.
                                        Evey Horn
                                      • Evelyn Horn
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 10, 2016
                                          Jim Durr tells me that he has started the eckertcranedays. com
                                        • Evelyn Horn
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 11, 2016
                                            Friday, march 11, 20116.  8:30 PM.

                                            The count for tonight was 1,100!
                                            Tomorrow's take off should be tremendous!

                                            Evey Horn
                                          • Evelyn Horn
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 30, 2016
                                              Wednesday, March 30, 2016. 9 PM

                                              We have 170 sandhill cranes at the Basin tonight.
                                              Evey Horn
                                            • Evelyn Horn
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 27
                                                Water level is rising. Evelyn Horn
                                              • Evelyn Horn
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 28
                                                  The water level continues to rise. It's well up into the cattails/tules on the north side, but the usual cranes roosting area is still dry. Seen: Geese, Mallard Ducks, Common Merganser, Great Blue Heron, "ducks".
                                                  Evelyn Horn
                                                  Cranes heard by Jan Lozen this AM.

                                                • Dennis Garrison
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 11

                                                    No cranes came in last night while I was waiting, although I could hear one or two over to the west.  Other birds seen:

                                                    Canada geese

                                                    mallards

                                                    green-winged teal

                                                    shoveler

                                                    pintail

                                                    ring-necked duck

                                                    gadwall

                                                    common merganser

                                                    redhead

                                                    coot

                                                    great blue heron

                                                    bald eagle

                                                    harrier (pair)

                                                    red-winged blackbird

                                                    kingfisher

                                                    song sparrow

                                                    northern flicker

                                                    mourning dove

                                                    and one grackle, that I thought might be a great-tailed but I didn't have the book with me to make sure.  Tail was a lot longer than I would expect for a common.  I am sure other people saw it and it will be around next time.

                                                    Not much trash to clean up before the event, but a couple of us will be there around 3 on Sunday to clean up what is there, if anyone else wants to help.