Rosy Finches, Snowmass ski area, Pitkin

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2012

      Hi all

      We enjoyed a great Rosy Finch spectacle today, Wednesday, at Snowmass on my weekly free bird tour:

      I estimated ca.300 Rosy Finches feeding voraciously at our feet and on the feeder.. (at the top of the Village Express chairlift at Sam’s Knob)

      The flock comprised of around 70% Brown-capped and 30% Gray-crowned (no Blacks seen)

      Almost all the Gray-crowned were Hepburn’s

      I have no doubt that the 14” of snow yesterday covered up lots of their feeding areas on the south-facing side of the hill ..

      Only other birds seen were Ravens.

      My next free Snowmass bird tour will  be Wednesday 29 February  as I’m headed off after this weekend to do some bird tours in  Antarctica, The Falklands and South Georgia

      Good birding all

      Dick Filby

      Carbondale, CO