Snowy Owl

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2012
    Greetings,
    Where is the westslope Snowy Owl?  There are Snowy Owls turning up everywhere except in western Colorado.  I am hoping a little complaining will do some good.

    I am not holding my breath, however as there are only four SNOW records in western Colorado.  Rio Blanco County in 1910; west of Gunnison in Gunnison County in 1952; one at Meeker in Rio Blanco County 22-23 January 1975; one at Eagle in Eagle County on 23 February 1978.  I did here of one unconfirmed possible sighting a few days ago.

    A few years back a SNOW was found in Ouray County on the opening night of Harry Potter.  It had its wings clipped and could not fly.  Someone must have brought in the owl to play a dirty trick.

    There is a SNOW east of Barr Lake and north of DIA that has stays at the same location for many days.  Attached are photos Brenda took of the owl perched on the ground and in flight.  The drive is worth it if you have never seen this owl.  What an experience!
    Good birding,
    Coen and Brenda