Rosy-Finches Snowmass Ski Area

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2012

      Hi all,

      I did my weekly free bird tour at Snowmass Ski area yesterday, Wednesday.

      Very successful with up to 200 Rosy-Finches coming to the feeder at the top of the Village Express chairlift (top of Sam’s Knob)

      I estimated that there were ca 160 Brown-capped, ca 25 Gray-crowned coastal form, ca 15 Gray-crowned interior (Hepburn’s) form

      Other birds included Steller’s Jay, Mountain Chickadee, Clark’s Nutcracker, Common Raven.

      Doubtless the restaurant decks had their usual Gray Jay visitors at lunchtime too – always THE BEST place and time to find them

      I was told that the American Marten (aka Pine Marten) has been a semi-regular visitor at the other bird-feeder on the mountain – it has been coming to that feeder for multiple seasons

      PLUS the skiing was pretty good too – recent snowfall has much improved the conditions on the mountain, and the groomers are doing a great job looking after it!

      Next Wednesday (18th) will be my last planned Snowmass tour until March – as I’ll be leading tours in Antarctica, The Falklands and South Georgia until then.

      Good birding all

      Dick Filby

      Carbondale, CO