just so there is ONE report today...

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2012
      I sat at home with my ankle up and wrapped today.  This morning, while on the computer, I had a solitaire and a ruby-crowned kinglet sit right outside the window and look in at me.  The camera was, of course, elsewhere. In the distance I could see starlings, but little else.

      Surely someone saw something interesting today!

      Dennis Garrison
    • Bryan Gieszl
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 11, 2012
        We have been lucky enough over the last couple of years to have a pair of Red-tailed Hawks nesting in our backyard.  They have a favorite perch next to the nest in a dead Cottonwood.  Most nights for the last couple weeks there has been a pair of Great Horned Owls calling in our yard, and a couple nights ago I saw one of them calling from the same branch the hawks like to perch on.  When I woke up in the morning, the hawk was perched right where the owl was.  We are hoping the owls will nest as well but are not sure if they will nest in such proximity.  Does anyone know if they might nest in such proximity to each other or how this might turn out?  Who wins in a competition between these two, or do they ignore/avoid each other due to day/night activity?  Also, when might we expect the owls to start building a nest if that would become their plan?  And lastly, I have been planning to put up some screech owl nest boxes, but will they be used with other predators nesting nearby?

        We are really enjoying the owls and hope they stay and I appreciate any answers anyone can provide for me.

        Thanks,

        Bryan Gieszl
        Montrose
      • Robert Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2012
          Not sure if Red tailed hawks and Great horned owls would nest near. On the Audubon site in Grand Junction we have Coopers hawks and great horned nesting near each other. They seem to act like cold war enemies lots of sparing but not contact.

          Great horned owls do not really build nest they take over other large birds nest such a Black billed magpie. There are few magpie nest left on the Audubon property and trail from West nile virus so we do not have any new nest. Kim Potter in Rifle is using old wicker clothes basket lined with coconut husk and has been successful in fledging Long eared owls. We have place three baskets in cottonwood on the property hoping they will be used.

          Great horned owls will start laying egg very soon late this month or early nest.

          Bob Wilson
        • Potter, Kim M -FS
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 2012

            I've seen several territories over the years that Red-tailed Hawks and Great-horned Owls share.  The hawks build a nest on their territory and the owls takes it over early in the next year.  Maybe that's why they have more than one nest.  I can think of at least 5 locations where Red-tailed Hawks share territories with Great-horned Owls for many years, often alternating nests.

            Cheers

                    Kim M. Potter

                   Wildlife Technician

            White River National Forest