Delta County birds, 03 Jan

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2012

      Missy and I went looking for year birds today and our success rate was *better* than expected:

      Northern shoveler at Confluence

      Canvasback on Gunnison River at US50

      Sandhill cranes along G Road

      Killdeer at Pleasure Park, thank you Dennis!

      LEAST SANDPIPER at Pleasure Park, thanks again, Dennis (took us two tries, well worth it)

      No Snowy owl ;-) but the Western screech-owl along G Road was visible in its snuggly little lookout

      Lewis’s woodpecker on Hanson Mesa and several other locations, thanks Andrea!

      Say’s phoebe on the church in Lazear

      Northern shrike (2) at Pleasure Park

      BLUE JAY in Lazear at the same location reported by Jim LeFevre yesterday,  thanks to Dennis and others on the Hotchkiss CBC

      Mountain bluebird along G50 and many other roads, gobs at Harts

      Overall we tallied about 60 species on a perfect day, no wind, high temp 45F  =)

      Stayin’ Alive - I can’t help but think of this old Bee Gee’s song with all the raptors – accipiters, buteos, eagles, falcons - out and about and everything else in the food chain fleeing them for their lives!