cranes

  • kathy kuyper
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2006
      I suspect the cranes are staying in other places besides Hart's Basin this year.  On the way back from Hart's Basin and the winery early Saturday afternoon, I saw about 250 cranes flying west northwest near Whitewater.  Also, had seen about 450 cranes flying either over Grand Junction (c. 300) or along the Bookcliffs (c. 150) in a generally WNW direction on Friday or Thursday between 9:30 and 10:00 a.m.
    • Bill/Cheryl Day
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2006
        Kathy - I think you are right. I just don't know why. Several people I talked to at the Crane Festival the last two weekends told me they had seen the cranes flying into the Delta/Grand Junction area, or headed that direction. But I didn't notice wind direction being that favorable to skipping Fruitgrowers on the days they mentioned it.

        Anyone have any thoughts on this? We had an excellent speaker at the Montrose CFO convention a few years ago that spoke on weather patterns and birds, it was great except I forgot nearly all of it. But this strange, scattered weather patterns we have been having the last few weeks has certainly affected the cranes migration.

        We had 150 sandhill cranes fly over our house today about 3:00 pm today, headed for Fruitgrowers.

        Cheryl Day
        Hotchkiss
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 21, 2006

          Cheryl, Wow!  I saw 150 cranes at 3:20 flying over grand junction.  Now, they wouldn't, couldn't be the same ones, I guess?

          There were lots of snow squalls over toward the south end of the Mesa.  In fact, I couldn't see too much of the Mesa.  I tried to figure whether they had a strong tailwind and really couldn't tell.  But they were moving right along.  Funny, there were two neat Vs almost the whole time I watched them cross the city and the righthand tail had almost twice as many cranes in both Vs.  That is, the eastern tail 'cause they were headed NW.

          Almost forgot to mention a ruby crowned kinglet was singing heartily in a pine up on Orchard Mesa yesterday morning - not far from the river.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2006
            Before I forget, from 10:07 to 10:11 a.m. i watched about 1500 cranes pass over probably Clifton or farther east toward the WNW.  They were a smudge in the distance because I was at first and grand, but with the binocs I watched them kettle (do cranes kettle?) and then continue.  The first "flock" had about 800 in it.  Wow!

            Heard the rock wren and canyon wren singing at Serpent's trail this morning.
          • Bill/Cheryl Day
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2006
              Kathy - I would say that about 1500 of the cranes at Fruitgrowers took off between 9:40 and 9:50. So these couldn't have been the same cranes. Wow, where did those 1500 you saw spend the night, I wonder?

              Remember, if anyone sees cranes anywhere, please report them to Evelyn Horn, botnbird@... who faithfully keeps track of these cranes as she has done for many years now. We are trying to keep accurate records both at Fruitgrowers and the surrounding areas.

              And today's liftoff, with a huge part of the 2200 leaving at once and flying right overhead, was one of the best I've seen. A beautiful morning weather-wise, also.

              And I should mention we are talking about the Sandhill Cranes at Fruitgrowers reservoir near Eckert, which is in Delta County off Hwy 65 going north towards Cedaredge.

              Cheryl Day
              Hotchkiss

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 16, 2006
                At 3:45 pm this afternoon, (Thursday) Bill and I heard and saw 70
                Sandhill Cranes flying towards Fruitgrowers reservoir. Later, around
                4:30, Bill saw them flying east over the Wal-Mart parking lot in Delta.
                Hard to imagine this was the same group Jason saw at Cheney reservoir?

                Cheryl Day
                Hotchkiss
              • Andrea Robinsong
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 7, 2006
                  Ahhhhhhhh. O.K., Evie, there really is a santa!
                  As you know, I have been checking the fields where the wintering Delta
                  cranes have roosted in the past years, but had not found them.
                  During daylight hours I have also been checking the fields where they
                  have fed in the past, but hadn't stumbled upon them.
                  Until last night!
                  On the way home from a quick run to see the white-winged scoter in
                  Clifton, I drove by the roosting fields and there they were!!!
                  A very quick count put the number of individuals at roughly 110 birds.
                  Past winters' counts have all been approx. 110-120 cranes on the
                  roosting grounds.
                  andrea robinsong
                • harriet stephens
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 9, 2010
                    on Sunday, I saw and heard a flock of about 40 sandhill cranes over Fruita
                    heading WNW.
                  • Robin Nicholoff
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 15, 2010
                      First cranes I heard over Sunshine Mesa, Hotchkiss were 10/6 then again 10/8. 10/12 about a hundred flew over. 10/13 about 400 in 3 flocks.

                      Yard birds: starting 2 weeks ago we had a flock of cedar wax wings hanging around for about 10 days consuming a big hatch of those tiny flying insects with the lavender-colored cottony attachments. The waxwings were joined by several ruby-crowned kinglets and yellow-rumps. First juncos showed up about 4 days ago. A pair of White-breasted Nuthatches have been around for weeks, along with the usual suspects. More Red Tail activity lately.

                      Good birding,

                      Robin Nicholoff
                      Hotchkiss
                    • Andrea Robinsong
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 6, 2011
                        Evie, it's 2:30 wed.. Do you know where your cranes are? A few of them
                        are here..flying low over my place. Yesterday I was out at Crawford
                        State Park and heard a substantial flock flying to the east of the park
                        at around noon.

                        Other than the cranes, Crawford was disappointing...the lake is totally
                        ringed with wet mud but only the mandatory single avocet was there.

                        andrea robinsong
                        hotchkiss
                      • JoAnn Potter Riggle
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 24, 2012
                          Between 10:30 and 11:00 this morning a flock of between 25 and 30 cranes few up Brush Creek Valley south of Eagle.

                          JoAnn Potter Riggle
                        • Bob Bradley
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 4, 2013
                            Evey, there were 70-75 cranes over Grand Junction just before 5pm today They were milling around, heading mostly to the east.

                            Bob Bradley
                          • inthecompanyofnature
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 4, 2013
                              Just now at 5:55 several (have no idea how many as it is dark) flew very low over my house (north Grand Junction), so loud I could hear them inside the house.
                              Wende Pomrenke