singularities

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2011

      Looking at Wikipedia I had no idea this word had so many applications.  Maybe I have a low threshold, i.e., per the usual dictionary definition of this word, but watching the progress of this morning’s lunar eclipse while listening to FOUR Great-horned owls calling around us was nothing less than spectacular!  One of the owls was in full view about 100o to the right (north) of the eclipse.  Definitely an unforgettable event, a singularity!  =)

      Later on, I went trolling for a Long-tailed duck at the Jerry Creek Reservoir complex along CO-330, and encountered these birds, sans LTDU...

      Jerry Creek #1 was 100% open water with:

      No tundra swan yet (unlike last year)

      Gadwall 1

      Mallard 17

      Canvasback 3

      Ring-necked duck 9

      Common goldeneye 6

      Hooded merganser 1

      Common merganser 4

      Pied-billed grebe 1

      Eared grebe 1 – getting late in the season for this bird

      Jerry Creek #2 was about 15% open with:

      Gadwall 9

      American wigeon 8

      Canvasback 1

      Ring-necked duck 8

      Lesser scaup 6

      Bufflehead 5

      Common goldeneye 3

      Hooded merganser 2

      Pied-billed grebe 1

      American coot 17

      Parking lot area and elsewhere along the walk:

      Red-tailed hawk 1

      Northern shrike 1

      Black-billed magpie 4

      Common raven 3

      Bewick’s wren 1

      Townsend’s solitaire 1

      Green-tailed towhee 1 – foraging with juncos and song sparrows.  Hey Coen, this is my first ever encounter of this species locally during the 6-month interval of Nov-Apr

      Song sparrow 3

      Dark-eyed junco 25

      Coyote 3 – sitting nearby, yipping at something other than me

      Mule deer 7 – perpetually meandering

      AND NO WIND  =)

      An extraordinary day on Rock #3!

      Larry

    • Tom & Kay McConnell
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2011
        Not a lot going on in our neighborhood either.  All of the lakes are frozen over now with the exception of Rifle Gap Res. , 100% open!  Ring-necks, Common Goldeneyes, Common Mergansers, coots, and one Horned Grebe (1 ea. Horned Grebe, not 1  One-horned Grebe).  Rifle Falls Hatchery had a bit of open water with a few dabblers, no Barrow’s Goldeneyes at either location.

        Tom McConnell
        Glenwood Springs

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2011

          Oops, some forgotten notes:

          Last year, Jerry Creek was in Colorado’s coldest CBC (5F was the high temperature), and this CBC also reported the most snow (3ft).  This morning’s temperature ranged 14F to 34F, with no snow, clear sky.

          Birding typically does this to me:  I go looking for LTDU but find GTTO, which is almost at the opposite end of the taxonomic spectrum!  I might say ey yi yi!!!

          I forgot to mention another singularity:  that other-worldly sound of expanding/shifting ice on the surface of reservoirs when the sun is working on it.  Most of us have experienced these crazy sounds, but this morning’s were extra special, another ey yi yi!!!  =)

          And Tom’s note reminds me:  compared to the sheer numbers of birds one might encounter at a single body of water in eastern Colorado, West Slope encounters can elicit much yawning.  Ayeeeeee

          LA