Sightings SE of Durango, La Plata Co.

  • sallerton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9 2:04 PM
      Hi everyone,
      This morning (12/9/11), Barbara Byron and I went scouting for birds within the Christmas Bird Count circle for Durango. Our best luck was along CR 301 out on the Florida Mesa. We found a NORTHERN SHRIKE at the intersection of CR 301 and CR 303. (The shrike was still in the same vicinity when we looped back through there 3 hours later, at 12:30 PM.) We also saw a couple of AMERICAN TREE SPARROWS along CR 301. Initially we stopped for American Goldfinches along this stretch of the road. (The goldfinches were spending time in sunflowers, rabbitbrush and willows.) The American Tree Sparrows turned up in the willows (on the east side of the road). The location for the sparrows and goldfinches was on CR 301, approximately 1/2 mile south of the intersection of CR 301 and CR 304. As we drove toward the east end of CR 303, we watched a FERRUGINOUS HAWK in flight above the fields.
      Susan Allerton
      Durango, CO
      sallerton@...