Cackling Geese, Goldeneyes, Sandhill Cranes & Loggerhead Shrikes

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2011
    Greetings,
    Attached are some photos Brenda took of three goldeneyes below the Ridgway Dam yesterday, Saturday.  What is your opinion as to their ID?  We spent a couple of hours looking over most of the goldeneyes on the reservoir and below on the Uncompahgre River.

    Saturday morning south of Whitewater we found two Loggerhead Shrikes.  One was on the road to Cheney Res.  West of Delta we counted 500 Sandhill Cranes about 9:45 AM.  We heard a few flocks later in the afternoon around Ridgway Res.
    This afternoon west of Nucla we found two small geese with a large flock of Canada Geese.  I am never 100% sure on Cackling Geese but these look like good candidates.
    Brenda and Coen
  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2011
      Coen, I think the odd goldeneye is another COGO, I have seen that slightly distorted face-marking before and have thought the same.  On the other hand are there areas where COGO and BAGO could interbreed?  Tom

      Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:18 PM
      Subject: [wsbn] Cackling Geese, Goldeneyes, Sandhill Cranes & Loggerhead Shrikes [4 Attachments]

    • timjvaughan@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011
        Hi everyone
        I think that the bird is a male Goldeneye moulting into winter plumage. In fall some show the facial markings like Barrows.

        Best wishes

        Tim

        Sent from my iPhone