Eckert Crane Days

  • Bill/Cheryl Day
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2006
      Someone sent me an email saying I didn't specify where the panel discussion
      of birding hotspots in Delta County and the surrounding areas was going to
      be. So I thought I would post information about Eckert Crane Days to the
      list.

      2 pm Saturday, March 18 - A panel discussion of "Birding Delta Hotspots and
      Surrounding Areas". This will be held at the Surface Creek Winery in Eckert.
      The panel will consist of Bill Day, Jason Beason, Rich Levad and myself. I
      am just going to quickly go over CFO's new County Birding Website, where you
      can click on any county and get the top 10 birding hotspots and download a
      birdlist for that county. Then the panel will discuss their favorite
      birding spots. With Jason, Bill and Rich, it should be an interesting
      discussion. Ok, I might add something.

      Below is what's happening for Eckert Crane Days this weekend, starting with
      a Nature Writing and Journaling workshop this evening and ending with a
      bluegrass concert Saturday evening. We had over 800 Sandhill Cranes come in
      last night, and we hope they will do the same tonight.

      Hope to see you there

      Cheryl Day

      Friday Evening, March 17

      NATURE WRITING AND JOURNALING 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

      Explore the potential of your relationships with the natural world through
      writing and sketching your observations of the animal and plant life around
      you. Surface Creek Winery presents a 2-part workshop to introduce you to
      basic concepts and philosophies of nature and environmental writing.

      Jeff Brigham, Wendy MacPhail-Brigham, and Nancy Marsh will provide an
      entertaining and inspirational presentation on the approaches and techniques
      of effective nature writing.

      Later in the evening they will discuss ideas for your own personal
      journaling and approaches to record your experiences with nature. They will
      suggest "assignments" (exercises) for you to consider for the crane
      observations at the Reservoir the next morning.

      Surface Creek Winery will provide light refreshments and wine tasting for
      the evening's attendees.

      Saturday Morning, March 18

      LIFTOFF 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.

      See March 11 for information

      NATURE WRITING 11:00 a.m.

      Jeff Brigham, Wendy MacPhail-Brigham, and Nancy Marsh will talk about the
      role and importance of environmental writing in the conservation of cranes
      and all wildlife generally. They will provide an entertaining and
      inspirational presentation of the writings of renowned masters of nature
      writing.

      After a brief break, they will continue with a follow-up of the previous
      night's "assignment" and will share the morning's "crane compositions" with
      willing participants.

      The program will start at 11:00 a.m. (Or later, if the Cranes are late
      taking off.) At Surface Creek Winery & Gallery in Eckert.

      Saturday Afternoon, March 18

      BIRDING HOTSPOTS IN DELTA COUNTY 2:00 p.m.

      As fantastic as Fruitgrowers Reservoir is for bird watching, there are
      several other unique and exciting locations to look for birds in Delta
      County and other nearby places.

      Join the Black Canyon Audubon Society's panel of some of their top birding
      experts as they share their favorite site for seeing the delightfully
      diverse bird and wildlife watching opportunities in our own back yard. From
      the top of the Grand Mesa to bottom lands and deserts they'll show you where
      to go and what to look for. At Surface Creek Winery & Gallery in Eckert.

      AFTERNOON LANDING OF CRANES AT FRUITGROWERS RESERVOIR 3:30 - 4:00 p.m. until
      Dusk

      See March 11 for information.

      Saturday Evening, March 18

      CRANE DAYS BLUEGRASS CONCERT featuring SWEET SUNNY SOUTH

      7:30 p.m. at the Apple Shed in Cedaredge.

      Tickets available from Starr's Guitars: 970-856-2331 or online at
      www.starrsguitars.com or call 835-4560.

      Crane Sightings and Other Observations at Fruitgrowers Reservoir and the
      Surrounding Area will be posted daily outside of Surface Creek Winery &
      Gallery in Eckert and at www.eckertcranedays.com or call 835-4560

      "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as
      well dance!!!"
    • Bill/Cheryl Day
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28 11:31 AM

        Here is the information for this year's Eckert Crane Days. If you would like to help out, just bring your scope to lift off or landing of cranes.

        Cheryl Day

        Hi Cheryl

        Just a quick note about Crane Days in three weeks.  The speaker schedule is at our website at http://www.eckertcranedays.com/events.html

        ( I'll post the crane counts at http://www.eckertcranedays.com/counts.html as I have in the past.)

        I am particularly happy to have John Vradenburg, Senior Biologist at Bosque del Apache NWR doing the morning talk on the 21st.  *John's *presentation will cover crane ecology from breeding through wintering, highlighting some of the RMP crane hotspots people are familiar with, like Grays Lake ID, San Luis Valley CO, and the Middle Rio Grande Valley of NM.  John will have some information from Mexico that he will also discuss*.

        Please forward this information to your Black Canyon Audubon folks.

        Thanks,

        Jim Durr
        Surface Creek Winery
        835-9463

        SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

        Saturday, March 21, 2009

        LIFTOFF  9:30 a.m.  to 10:30 a.m. (approximate Mt Daylight Savings Time)

        One mile east of Eckert (Highway 65) on North Road at Fruitgrowers Reservoir.

        Black Canyon Audubon Society (www.blackcanyonaudubon.org) will host a Sandhill Crane “Liftoff”.  Please meet on the east side of the Fruitgrowers Reservoir from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. to observe Sandhill cranes and other Water birds.  BCAS members and others will share their knowledge and scopes with those who come for the experience.  If you do not want to miss the takeoff, we strongly recommend that you arrive at the Reservoir before 9 a.m.

        MORNING PRESENTATION  11:00 a.m.

        John Vradenburg, Senior Biologist, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,  Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, Socorro, NM

        Many of the Sandhill Cranes that we see at Fruitgrowers Reservoir spent their winter months at the Bosque del Apache NWR.  John's presentation will cover crane ecology from breeding through wintering, highlighting some of the RMP crane hotspots people are familiar with, like Grays Lake ID, San Luis Valley CO, and the Middle Rio Grande Valley of NM.  John willI have some information from Mexico that he will also discuss (The program will start at 11:00 a.m.  (or later, if  the Cranes are late taking off) at Surface Creek Winery & Gallery, 12983 Highway 65, Eckert, Colorado. )

        AFTERNOON PRESENTATION  2:00 p.m.

        Rich Durnan, Photographer, Ridgway, Colorado. (www.richdurnanphoto.com)
        Rich is an accomplished photographer and photographic educator.  Rich will talk about photographing wildife with special attention to photographing birds generally and, more specifically, the Sandhill Cranes at Fruitgrowers Reservoir.  (The afternoon program will start at 2:00 p.m. at Surface Creek Winery & Gallery, 12983 Highway 65, Eckert, Colorado.)

        AFTERNOON LANDING OF CRANES AT FRUITGROWERS RESERVOIR   4:30 – 5:00 p.m. until Dusk

        The next wave of migrating Sandhill Cranes typically land at the Reservoir from 3.30 to dusk.   Watching the Cranes land is a much different experience than watching them take off in the morning! (Black Canyon Audubon Society members will be available the next morning (Sunday) 8:30-10:00 a.m., if a sufficient number of cranes land Saturday afternoon.)

        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

         Saturday, March 28, 2009

        LIFTOFF  9:30 a.m.  to 10:30 a.m. (approximate Mt Daylight Savings Time)

        One mile east of Eckert (Highway 65) on North Road at Fruitgrowers Reservoir.

        Black Canyon Audubon Society (www.blackcanyonaudubon.org) will host a Sandhill Crane “Liftoff”.  Please meet on the east side of the Fruitgrowers Reservoir from 8:00AM to 10:00AM to observe Sandhill cranes and other Water birds.  BCAS members and others will share their knowledge and scopes with those who come for the experience.  If you do not want to miss the takeoff, we strongly recommend that you arrive at the Reservoir before 9:30 AM Mt Daylight Time .

        Today  we are offering  a special theme -

        WILDILIFE AND OUR SCENIC BYWAYS

        Colorado's Scenic Byways offer a broad opportunity to see birds and other wildlife while viewing stunning scenery.

        Delta County is blessed with the Grand Mesa and West Elk Loop Scenic Byways within its borders.  Nearby we have the Unaweep/Tabeguache, San Juan Skyway, and Silver Thread & Alpine Loop Scenic Byways that add to the diversity of our experiences.

        MORNING PRESENTATION  11:00 a.m

        Trina Romero, Colorado Division of Wildlife, Watchable Wildlife Coordinator for the Northwest Region

        The Grand Mesa and Unaweep/Tabeguache Byways offer very different wildlife habitats and wildlife watching opportunites.  Trina will talk about both byways and the numbers and types of different species that we might expect to see in each location.  Trina's talk will be supplemented by a variety of  informational handouts.  (The program will start at 11:00 a.m.  (or later, if  the Cranes are late taking off) at Surface Creek Winery & Gallery, 12983 Highway 65, Eckert, Colorado.)

        AFTERNOON PRESENTATION  2:00 p.m.

        John Spurgeon, Author of "Irrigating the Surface Creek Valley"

        In addition to the wildlife watching and other recreational opportunities available to the public, the Grand Mesa provides the water that we rely on for irrigation and domestic use.  Water from the Mesa also fills Fruitgrowers Reservoir, which has become one of the most important bird watching spots in Colorado.  John will discuss the history of  the water system that is the lifeblood of the Surface Creek Valley.  John will also have autographed copies of his book, "Irrigating the Surface Creek Valley" available for sale.  (The afternoon program will start at 2:00 p.m., at Surface Creek Winery & Gallery, 12983 Highway 65, Eckert, Colorado.)

        AFTERNOON LANDING OF CRANES AT FRUITGROWERS RESERVOIR  4:30 – 5:00 p.m. until Dusk

        The next wave of migrating Sandhill Crane typically land at the Reservoir from 3.30 to dusk.   Watching the Cranes land is a much different experience than watching them take off in the morning! (Black Canyon Audubon Society members will be available the next morning (Sunday) 8:30-10:00 a.m., if a sufficient number of cranes land Saturday afternoon.)