RMBO's Annual Barrow's Goldeneye Count

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2011
      Colorado Birders,

      The Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory will be accepting counts of Barrow's Goldeneyes again this year from 19 November through 30 November. This will be the twelfth consecutive year of this project.  It is believed that all the Barrow's Goldeneyes found in Colorado during this time period represent the portion of the species that breeds in Colorado.  Therefore, by counting the wintering birds, we are getting an idea of how the population of Barrow's Goldeneyes is doing in our state.  This has not been proven and it possible that some birds are coming from Wyoming or farther north.

      For the count, we would like you to concentrate on counting all of the Barrow's Goldeneyes in Colorado, however, we also appreciate counts of all bird species present at each lake/reservoir visited.  If participants would enter their count totals into the eBird web site that would be much appreciated.  I will check eBird for all BAGOs reported during this time period for those of you that don't post on CoBirds or WSBN.  Please send count totals to me at this e-mail address or jason.beason@....

      Here are the lakes that have had the bulk of Barrow's Goldeneyes on past counts and will hopefully be visited during the count period:
      Bear Creek Reservoir – Jefferson County
      Blue Lake – Eagle County
      Blue Mesa Reservoir – Gunnison County
      Clear Creek Reservoir – Lake County
      Dillon Reservoir – Summit County
      Eleven Mile Reservoir – Park County
      Grand Lake – Grand County
      Horsetooth Reservoir – Larimer County
      Ice Lake – Chaffee County
      Jerry Creek Reservoir – Mesa County
      Lake Avery – Rio Blanco County
      Lake Granby – Grand County
      Mount Elbert Forebay – Lake County
      North Pond Park - Summit County
      Ranch at the Roaring Fork Ponds – Garfield County
      Rifle Falls Fish Hatchery – Garfield County
      Rifle Gap Reservoir – Garfield County
      Shadow Mountain Reservoir – Grand County
      Silverthorne Sewage Ponds – Summit County
      Spring Park Reservoir - Eagle County
      Stagecoach Reservoir - Routt County
      Steamboat Lake – Routt County
      Taylor Park Reservoir – Gunnison County
      Union Reservoir – Weld County
      Vega Reservoir – Mesa County
      Yampa River (near Craig) – Moffat County

      Here are the totals for each year of the count:
      1999 – 226 at 8 sites
      2000 – 107 at 16 sites (less effort)
      2001 – 181 at 20 sites
      2002 – 189 at 16 sites
      2003 – 245 at 21 sites
      2004 – 226 at 14 sites
      2005 – 219 at 16 sites
      2006 – 280 at 21 sites
      2007 – 225 at 17 sites
      2008 - 183 at 19 sites
      2009 - 163 at 16 sites
      2010 - 163 at 16 sites

      Thank you and Good Birding!

      Jason Beason
      Special Monitoring Projects Coordinator
      Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory
      Paonia - Delta County
    • Jason Beason
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2012
        Colorado Birders,

        Please mark your calendars! The Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory is searching for folks to get out and search for Barrow's Goldeneyes again this year from 23 November through 3 December. This will be the fourteenth consecutive year for the count!  It was exciting this year to learn that this species also breeds near Mt. Evans. This is the ONLY place this species has been documented breeding outside of the Flat Top Mountains in Colorado. It is possible that all the Barrow's Goldeneyes found in Colorado in late fall/early winter represents the portion of the species that breeds in Colorado.  Therefore, by counting the birds in Colorado at this time of year, we are getting an idea of how the population of Barrow's Goldeneyes is doing in our state.  However, we don't really know for certain and it possible that some birds are coming from Wyoming or farther north.

        For the count, we would like to concentrate on counting all of the Barrow's Goldeneyes in Colorado, however, we also appreciate counts of all waterbird species present at each lake/reservoir visited.  If participants would enter their count totals into eBird that would be much appreciated.  I will check eBird for all BAGOs reported during this time period for those of you that don't post on CoBirds or WSBN.  Or, you can send count totals to me at this e-mail address or jason.beason@....

[...]
        Yampa River (near Craig - Forrest Luke please help!) – Moffat County

        Here are the totals for each year of the count:
        1999 – 226 at 8 sites
        2000 – 107 at 16 sites (less effort)
        2001 – 181 at 20 sites
        2002 – 189 at 16 sites