hart's basin

  • Evelyn Horn
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 23, 2011
      Sunday, Oct. 23
       We had 24 cranes at the Basin this am, and Dennis Garrison reports another 10 at Gould Reservoir near Crawford.
      Evey Horn
    • Andrea Robinsong
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 23, 2011
        My apologies for forgetting to report that I counted approximately 100 cranes at Fruitgrowers on Friday evening.
        andrea robinsong

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 13, 2012
          Tuesday, March 14.  8 PM

          ice-free at last!!

          t;his evening estimate: 1,000 Sandhills
          the usual other neat birds: Gadwalls have arrived !
          Evey Horn
        • Evelyn Horn
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
            HART’S BASIN.  MARCH 12.  8:30  PM

            a dozen Sandhills, 3 Tundra Swan, 2 Bald Eagles, loads of ducks & geese.
            Evey Horn

            ps. Monte Vista festival was great---but cold!!!!!
          • Andrea Robinsong
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 12, 2013
              Welcome home Evie!
              This evening between 6:30and 7:30 I tried my best to count cranes around Escalante Wildlife Area.  The very rough count I got was between 700 and 1000 but there may have been many more I couldn't see.

              Cranes were in the cornfields east of the pond and south of G50 rd..  There were many cranes very close to the road, just on the other side of the fences, and photographers were enjoying the close ups.

              These corn fields run roughly east west with the Gunnison River along the S and G50 Rd on the N. . Most of the birds were concentrated along the river but hard to see from the road.
              I travelled along the road on the other side of the river but found no more corn and only a few more cranes.

              These migrating cranes have found their way to the very same night roosts that the flock of wintering cranes utilize...primo habitat for these big wonderful birds.

              Some of the cranes were dancing close to the road and I got some nice photos.
              Photographers will probably find the evening light better than in the morning when the sun is already high in the sky when the cranes start to move around.

              Andrea Robinsong
              Hotchkiss

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 25, 2013
                MARCH 25, 2013.   8 PM

                Over 1,000 cranes tonight at Hart’s Basin (11,000 or 12,000????)
                Should be a great takeoff tomorrow!!
                Total for the season= 6231
                total for Escalante area= 829

                Happy Evey Horn
              • Evelyn Horn
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                  March 28, Thursday.  8 PM

                  about 1,000 Sandhills at Hart’s Basin tonight.
                  Taking of about 9:30 to 10:30 AM
                • Evelyn Horn
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                    Thursday, march 28  9 PM

                    about 1,000 Sandhill tonight.
                    They’ve been taking off about 9:30 to 10:30 PM
                    Evey
                  • Evelyn Horn
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
                      Friday, April 5  8 PM

                      104 Sandhills at Hart’s Basin this evening.
                      Evey Horn
                    • Evelyn Horn
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 25, 2013

                        Thursday, April 25  5 PM
                        Great Egret at the Basin tonight.’
                        Evey
                      • Evelyn Horn
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 23, 2014
                          Sunday, March 23, 2014  9 PM

                          count for tonight, about 750 cranes at the basin.
                          Evey Horn
                        • Evelyn Horn
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 17, 2014
                            the cranes are on the move!

                            Hart's Basin =  595
                            in flight =566
                            observed elsewhere =857
                            Escalante are = 1,300

                            Keep watching and thanks to everyone who has reported the birds!

                            Evey Horn
                          • Geoff Tischbein

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 25, 2015
                                Wed. March 2015.  8 PM
                                We have 27 Cranes at the Basin this evening.
                                Our total to date: 8,475
                                Evey Horn
                              • Evelyn Horn
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 7, 2015
                                  April 7, 2015.  9 PM

                                  We have 9 Sandhill cranes at the reservoir this evening.
                                   Recently we've observed 2 cranes that seem to be (perhaps) locals. this evening they're both reddish. Nesters? Hope!

                                  the total to date is 10,621 (not counting the pair)
                                  Evey Horn