Lewis' woodpecker south of Crawford, etc

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2011
      Today in early afternoon I found a single Lewis' woodpecker along the Crystal Creek road near the Montrose/Gunnison County line, south of Crawford.  Oak savannah habitat, not what I was expecting there, but there are substantial cottonwoods along the creek bottom.  Bluebirds abounded, and the red-tailed hawks are thick in the mountains the last week or so.

      Along the Gunnison River near Pleasure Park the last two fishing trips, I heard the chukars just up the main river from the confluence, and have a bald eagle, golden eagles, spotted sandpipers, mallard, wigeon, kingfisher, GB heron, song sparrow, bushtit, marsh wren, and canyon wren down in there as well.  Signs there say that they sprayed the willows on the private property with an herbicide for mosquito control.

      I decided to start feeding again, but something opened up the suet feeder and stole the cake, and the box elder bugs seem to be all over the peanut butter, so maybe I will postpone a couple more weeks.  The neighbor's cat did catch a young collared-dove, which is a good thing in my book.  Now if I can teach it to catch rock squirrels...

      Dennis Garrison