Two good birds to report

  • leon stigen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2011
      3 of us saw a Green Heron near the banding station at the Audubon Nature Center site this morning. It appeared to be a young bird and it put up quite a fuss when we tried to get closer for a better look. My favorite heron from my childhood in Indiana. It's interesting how some birds can make such an impression on a young person that they are never forgotten, even when that person sees more "spectacular" birds in later life!
         Yesterday, Cecilia Barr and I saw 4 Blue winged teal along the trail east of Corn Lake at the same pond where I saw the "Least Terns" last week. These ducks looked much the same as they usually do in the spring, so maybe they just skipped the so-called "eclipse plumage" this year or had already molted out of it. Oh, and by the way, I saw the terns again on Friday afternoon around 5:30 at the exact same spot!!! I was pushing one of my developmentally disabled clients along on the trail and, again, had binoculars but no scope. Never have I wished for a scope more. I had great looks at the terns and all I can say is that everything fit for Least Terns through the binos except maybe the size. It's been a few years since I have seen Least Terns and, then, only in flight in breeding plumage. But, like I posted last week, these were not large terns, and everything fit the description in Sibley for nonbreeding adult birds. Again, I sure wish I would have had the scope for the second time around, but I sure didn't expect the birds back there again two days later. Larry Arnold and I searched for them the next morning and evening to no avail!
         Lee Stigen
         Grand Junction