Ridgway Birding, Blue-headed Vireo and White-throated Sparrow

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2011
      Greetings,
      Ouray County had many birds due to the storm in the mountains.  The best bird was a Blue-headed Vireo on the Dennis Weaver trail just over 1 mile north of Ridgway.  The trail leads south from the Bald Eagle monument and runs on the west side of the Uncompahgre River.  The vireo was only 50 yards south of the monument in a juniper tree.
      The vireo was very brightly colored with a lot of yellow on the flanks and a dark blue-gray head.  Brenda and I got very close to the bird and got very good views.
      The next best bird was a White-throated Sparrow in Billy Creek SWA.  We ran into a very large migrating flock which included House Wrens, Sage Thrashers, Orange-crowned and Wilson's warblers, Green-tailed Towhee, Chipping, Vesper, Lincoln sparrows and many common, expected species.
      On the reservoir there was an Osprey and about 20 California Gulls but not much else.  Several Northern Harriers were found at different locations.  In route a Long-billed Dowitcher was about 1 mile east of Redvale.  Near Nucla late this afternoon there was a Merlin sitting on a fence post next to the road.  Nucla has been overrun by Northern Flickers.  I have never seen so many.
      This is the best fall birding that I can remember.  We may pass up football and the Broncos and check out more birds tomorrow.
      Coen and Brenda