Ouray

  • kent nelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2011
      Hello, all,

      An hour's walk around Ouray this afternoon gave us a lot of birds -- hundreds of juncoes (one Oregon), lots of White-crowned and Chipping Sparrows, one Lark Sparrow, several Vespers, and one juv. Fox Sparrow. We had many Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a few Wilson's, Orange-crowned, and Yellow-rumped Warblers, two Green-tailed Towhees, and the surprise bird, a juveral Common Yellowthroat, (which was yard bird #70).  I also saw what I thought was a Bushtit in with some White-crowned Sparrows.

      Kent Nelson
      Ouray

    • kent nelson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 17, 2011
        Hello, all.

        At about 11:30 this morning, walking home from the P.O., I noticed a junco-like bird under some bushes. But it didn't look like a junco -- its tail was longer, and it flicked its tail as it moved around. I didn't have binoculars, but I watched it a few minutes. It had a white eye-ring, white under the throat and across the eye, and it looked to me like a Sage Sparrow. I went home and got my binoculars, and while I was watching the Sage Sparrow, I noticed a Hermit Thrush in the nearby bushes. Sage Sparrow seemed to me odd for Ouray this time of year.

        Also odd is no feeder birds. Last year I had dozens of Evening Grosbeaks and siskins, but not one this year.

        Kent Nelson
        Ouray