Cassin's Vireo

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2011
    Greetings,
    A Cassin's Vireo visited our yard for about 1 hour this morning, species number 159 for our yard.   There are a few Turkey Vultures remaining around the area.  One Broad-tailed Hummingbird is still hanging out around the feeders and flowers.

    Attached is a list of 100 species that I would like to keep a record of the last date observed.  All are migrants and are, at best, casual by the end of the year.  Most will soon be gone and several have already left for a warmer climate.  In past years the last observed dates are not accurate as many species go unreported.  Example:  Warbling Vireo is common in summer but most, if not all, are gone by now.  I bet someone saw one last week but I have no way of knowing unless it is reported to wsbn.  Anyway, if your want to add info, check out the dates I have for most of the listed species, and let me know if you have info to update.  A few of the species have not been reported since 1 August which is the beginning of the reporting period.

    I am interested in data from Moffat County to La Plata County.  Forrest, Dona, Jim, Susan, Riley and everyone in between, I would like your info.  Larry, look over your records and make sure I have your latest dates.

    Rare birds are not on the list because birders report rare species and we have good data.

    Larry has done a great job of keep track of the first observed date.  Now maybe we can add just a little by recording the last date each year.

    Good birding,
    Coen
  • Mike Henwood
    Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2014
      Late Post:  On Oct. 1 Ron Lambeth and I waited out the rain in the morning and then birded the area around the Audubon Nature Center and Connected Lakes near the banding station hoping to find the Ovenbird that had been banded. No luck with finding the Ovenbird.  Best bird of the day was a Cassin's Vireo in a small group with an Orange-crowned Warbler and a Wilson's Warbler.  We also had another Orange-crowned Warbler among a flock of Gambel's White-crowned Sparrows.

      Other birds of note included 4 beautiful pairs of Wood Ducks, a Cooper's Hawk, and two Spotted Towhees along with numerous Gambel's White-crowned Sparrows.

      Mike Henwood
      Grand Junction