Color on Grand Mesa and birds along the way

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29 8:00 PM

      Today’s mission was to get closer to some fall color, and along the way Missy and I checked a few ponds.  Highlights:

      At home prior to leaving – 1 great-horned owl, 2 juniper titmice, 15 bushtits on the suet, a befuddling raptor I need to discuss with Coen, and using our humfeeders and humplants were 7 black-chinned hummers, 1 rufous, and 1 calliope

      At Whitewater – a flock of 18 avocets and a flock of yellow-headed blackbirds, all on southbound missions, kinda sorta

      Along G50 Road west of Delta – 1 greater yellowlegs, 2 snipe

      At Confluence Park – 12 DC cormorants, and still no sign of any GT grackles (banned from Delta?)

      At Sweitzer – a small mix of ducks and grebes, another avocet, 1 long-billed dowitcher, quite a few blue grosbeaks

      At Harts Basin – 2 semi-palmated plovers, 1 peep, 3 pectoral sandpipers, 1 baird’s sandpiper, 8 pipits, and 2 common yellowthroats

      Up over Grand Mesa – we enjoyed a whole lot of fall color, saw a few more birds, and snagged a box of honeycrisp apples in Cedaredge, YUM!  In some areas colors were about at peak, but in other areas the peak is yet to come.

      Good birding and foliaging!