Blackpoll Warbler and Lark Bunting

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2011
      Yesterday morning Brenda and I were driving west of Nucla just north of the sewer ponds and found a Lark Bunting sitting on the fence.  The bunting was a hatch year bird or a female.  Lark Buntings are not easy to find in Montrose County.

      This morning while walking in Nucla on 4th Avenue we found a Blackpoll Warbler.  I tried to make it into a Pine or Bay-breasted warbler but finally came to our senses.  Fall Blackpoll Warblers do not have bright yellow legs.  We got many great looks at the warbler as it was harassed by a Yellow-rumped Warbler.  We could eliminate Bay-breasted because this bird had very white under-tailed coverts.  Pine Warbler was not so easy to eliminate.  The bird had two bold white wing bars and both species do.  There was light streaking on the yellowish chest and the warbler seemed short tailed.  Our chances of having a Blackpoll Warbler is much greater in the fall than the other two species.  The warbler did have some tail bobbing which I cannot find in literature about Blackpolls.
      We looked for the warbler again and used playback but it did not respond.  The habitat is mix mature deciduous in a small creek drainage.  The exact location if 4th Ave and Dexter Street about two blocks from where we live.
      We will check again tomorrow for the warbler.
      Coen and Brenda