Re: [wsbn] Mystery hawk [1 Attachment]

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2011
      We were in New Mexico all of last week and returned home via Durango, Montrose, etc.  Kay watched hard for Coen & Brenda’s white hawk as we came north on 550 but we did not find it again.  We did have a Turkey Vulture (county bird) over Cascade Village near Purgatory Ski Area and barely in San Juan County and did lunch at Ridgway Res.  The lake has gone down a lot with only the standard flock of gulls around on Sunday.  In Durango Riley’s Summer Tanager was still along the Animas River on Friday and an Osprey still around on Saturday.  Lots of migrant warblers along the Animas River as well, but none of the rarities reported earlier in the week.  On the way south, 6 Long-billed Curlew at San Luis Lake SP on the 16th, John Rawinski reported these again this past weekend.

      Tom and Kay

      Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 4:55 PM
      Subject: [wsbn] Mystery hawk [1 Attachment]

      Greetings,
      As you have all suggested, the white hawk is most likely to be a Red-tailed Hawk.  There was nothing in what we saw that would indicate otherwise.

      I did a little research in Yellow-throated Vireo records in western Colorado.  There are now six records all since Birds of Western Colorado was published in 2004.
      Yellow-throated Vireo records: 1) 26 May 04, Yellowjacket Canyon, Montezuma; 2) 31 May 08, Durango, La Plata; 3) 9 Jun-3 Jul 09, Black Canyon, Gunnison; 4) 29 Apr 10, Paonia, Delta; 5) 26 Jul 10, Blue Mesa Res, Gunnison; 6) 15 Sep 11, Ridgway SP, Ouray.

      I checked out Colordo Birds published in 1992 for fall records.  Four fall records are mentioned.

      I have attached the First Supplement of Birds of Western Colorado for those of you that don't have it.  One can make a copy and place it in your copy of Birds of Western Colorado.  The First Supplement includes the years 2004 through 2010.  The Second Supplement will be ready in 2015.
      Good birding,
      Coen