sugar consumption here

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011

      Sugar consumption by our hummingbirds during August (our usual peak month) was about average this year compared to other Augusts since 2003...

      During 2000–2003, we used an average of 70 lbs of sugar for the month of August, whereas

      During 2004-2011, we have averaged only 32 lbs of sugar for August

      2011 has been an interesting year: during spring and summer we had far fewer hummingbirds than we have ever had in our yard, but since July we’ve had a banner year for Calliopes whereas the opposite has been true for Broad-tails; during August, we never had our usual mid-month spike in numbers as the hummingbirds kept on coming (and going, I presume).  As of today, however, our numbers appeared to drop significantly.  My feelings are mixed:  I love the *kinetic energy* of the hummingbird phenomenon, but I am also tiring of hum-feeder maintenance!  Ayerrrr!  ;-)

      Larry

      GJ