2011 FALL FOS REPORTS

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2011

    Actually, “random synapses” might be a more accurate subject line for this note, oui?

    Attached is my usual Excel spreadsheet summarizing our seasonal FOS reports for western Colorado, which are very few in number so far.  Where the heck are the birds?

    On our recent trip to escape Grand Valley heat, Missy and I first stopped at Harts Basin (Fruitgrowers), and we noted that a Snipe Family Reunion continues along the north side of the causeway (re: Tom’s posting on 13 August).  We certainly enjoyed the overnight low temperature in Gunnison (43F), and, taking the back roads home to GJ we encountered the usual high country birds but noted that numbers were alarmingly low.

    A few more “drifters” have been showing up in our neighborhood, including Turkey vulture, American kestrel, Great-horned owl, Belted kingfisher, Pinon jay, Bullock’s oriole, and Pine siskin.

    Back to the evolution of AOU (American Ornithologists Union), re: my posting on 14 August – several of you responded with questions, so I’m including below another web site and will mention that I had emailed Susan Haig (AOU President-Elect) asking whether a name change was necessary.  Her response:

    Hi Larry--thanks for your note.  The name change came from the requests of other societies who do not want to "join AOU" --rather they want to form a new society, Semantics, I guess.  It is really hard to let go of AOU.  It took me a long time but I can see the fresh start will set us on a new positive trajectory.  Our membership numbers, submissions to the Auk, and Auk ratings are at an all time low.  We need to be forward thinking with these issues.  Wish us luck, Sue

    http://ornithologyexchange.org/articles.html/_/community/aou-and-other-societies-to-evolve-into-new-society-for-ornithology-r46

    More on the history of Carpenter Ranch in Routt County, re: my posting about Nothing Daunted on 16 August – two more publications that I myself might read are a) Confessions of a Maverick: An Autobiography (Farrington R. Carpenter, 1984) and b) America’s First Grazier: the Biography of Farrington R. Carpenter (Edward F. Carpenter, 2004).

    Hummingbirds!