Cheney this morning

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10 7:46 AM

      An early quick look at Cheney revealed that the access road is getting rougher and the water level in the reservoir is higher than I’ve ever seen, making it difficult to dig out shorebirds from among the vegetation.  But Missy and I found 6 ibis and one each cormorant, spotted sandpiper, solitary sandpiper, and loggerhead shrike.

      Back at the ranch (Redlands at 4750ft), a few birds have returned from their respite from our summer heat: pinon jay flock, western tanager 2, juniper titmouse 1

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2012

        Missy and I saw an expected mix of birds there for this time of year, though few in number AND a Baird’s Sandpiper that was my earliest date for the West Slope.  The water level is quite low, meaning there are extensive mud flats for shorebirds.