Orchard Oriole in Hayden

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011

      Nancy Merrill has a first year male Orchard Oriole coming to the feeders at her ranch east of Hayden. She is hosting a group to view the bird and go on a walk around the area tomorrow morning as part of a Yampa Valley Bird Club outing. She mentioned that other birders would be welcome to come view the bird. Her phone number is 970-276-1932.

      Not surprisingly, this appears to be a first Routt County record.

      Nancy’s initial identification of the bird was corroborated by Tom Litteral, Gary Nelson and Chris Wood (Cornell) from Nancy’s photos. I had a chance to see the bird this morning and I agree with the others. The clincher for me was that it was obviously smaller than the associated Bullock’s Orioles and had chestnut-colored feathers starting to show up on the upper breast. Chris noted some additional, more subtle factors that also looked good for Orchard.

      Cheers,

      Forrest Luke