Loudy-Simpson update

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2011

      I spent my lunch break at Loudy-Simpson Park in Craig where I ran into Craig Dodson and Dona Hilkey. Craig had refound the Chestnut-sided Warbler and Dona found it after a little searching. Both got great photos of the bird. There was also a Northern Waterthrush in the same general area as the warbler (the northeast corner of the nature trail). Overall, pretty birdy with seven total warbler species, a FOS Warbling Vireo, Lincoln’s Sparrows and other resident birds.

      Good Birding,

      Forrest Luke

    • Forrest Luke
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26 6:08 PM

        The migrant wave continued at Loudy-Simpson Park in Craig today. The number of Townsend’s (15) and Nashville (5) Warblers was the highest yet. A YB Chat made a very rare Craig area appearance, along with an Olive-sided Flycatcher. I did not see or hear the waterthrush  or Least Flycatcher today. Eastern Kingbird and Bullock’s Oriole, a couple of species that I thought were gone for the year, showed up for an apparent last hurrah.

        Sadly, with a forecasted return to sunny weather things will probably slow down until the next batch of weather.

        Cheers,

        Forrest Luke

        Craig