delta ponds / Dunlin and Least Tern

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2011
      I didn't see anything new at Fruitgrowers. I did notice that the Tree
      Swallows have morphed into Bank Swallows.

      This morning at Sweitzer I saw a lone {Tom's} Dunlin working the mud at
      the SE end. There were pelicans, Franklins Gulls, California Gulls and
      Ring-billed Gulls and a Least Tern all busy grooming in the water near
      the Dunlin. BTW the water level is rising; I hope we still have that
      wonderful mud for the CFO convention.
      other birds of note:
      2 Spotted Sandpipers
      2 White-faced Ibis
      Western Kingbirds dripping from the trees
      2 dancing Western Grebes

      While I was there the pelicans, gulls and tern all took off heading
      towards Confluence Park which is where I found the pelicans, tern,
      California and ring-billed
      gulls half an hour later. After my walk the Franklin flock had arrived.
      Seems to me these same birds are sleeping at Sweitzer and hanging out at
      Confluence on the island during the day.

      quick story:
      on my back porch I have a suet feeder with a large screen underneath the
      suet cake hanging next to and touching a hanging log suet feeder that
      has been empty for some time. Every day a Hairy Woodpecker comes, hangs
      on the log while he pecks suet out of the same hole...suet I did not put
      in the hole...then while hanging on the log he turns his head and eats
      mouthfulls of suet from the wire feeder. Then he collects more suet from
      the wire feeder and packs it into the hole in the log. The next day he
      comes, first eats the suet he has packed into the log hole, then eats
      from the wire feeder then packs suet into the hole.
      I have witnessed this three times.

      andrea robinsong
      hotchkiss