red-breasted nuthatch, Paonia

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2011
      I just had my first-ever red-breasted nuthatch at the Paonia FS office feeder.  I see and hear them up high all summer, but haven't found one down in the valley until today.  A black-headed grosbeak also showed up this morning amongst the clouds of evenings.  Might have to actually get out the tripod and set up the camera, even with the impending blizzard.

      Yesterday, 4 sandhills flew over while we were at a barbecue in the park across the creek.  I also heard, but did not see, sandhills in Curecanti Creek on Thursday.  Wonder if they might be breeding on the pond at the Curecanti Ranch.

      From cold Paonia,
      Dennis Garrison