sick goldfinch plus waxwings, Paonia, Delta Cty

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2011
      After the most excellent BCAS raptor trip today (which Jason will tell you about shortly) I stopped back by the office to see what was at the feeders.  Nothing special in the few minutes I looked, although the sharpie made a pass while I was standing outside taking these photos.

      There was a goldfinch on the thistle feeder that was all fluffed up and acting strangely, and when I looked closely, I could tell it looked ill.  It flitted over to the seed feeder, and then let me walk outside and take some photos.  It appeared to have symptoms similar to the "house finch disease" I see in those birds occasionally, swollen eyes and skin around the face.  It was sick enough it let me take thirty or forty pictures from about a meter, then move the camera up to about three inches for several shots.  I suspect the sharpie will have it for dinner very soon, as it flew out onto an exposed branch on the other side of the streamside vegetation after I went back inside.  The plumage detail at that distance is amazing!

      After I came home, and while I was downloading photos for this post, five cedar waxwings landed in the sycamore outside my window!  And the camera was plugged in, downloading, downloading, downloading...  Sigh.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia, Delta County