Re: Black Phoebe Notes

  • Brandon K. Percival
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
      Yeah, they are breeding in Chaffee County for sure, they have been there for a few years.  So far, they haven't had one there in the winter.

      Brandon Percival
      Pueblo West, CO

      From: larry arnold <larnold47@...>
      Subject: [wsbn] Black Phoebe Notes
      To: "WSBN" <wsbn@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, January 10, 2011, 1:45 PM

      I had intended to post this last fall, but somehow miss-placed it and forgot about it.

      Anyway, for what it’s worth...

      Larry

      Re: range and seasonal expansion of Black Phoebe

      This species seems like a good candidate for discussion/observation, considering the several recent reports in Grand Valley, Mesa County.  Below is the text of Coen’s First Supplement to BOWC (2010) that he had emailed us earlier this year.  Considering the recent sightings in Mesa County and that prior late dates ranged 30 Sep – 09 Oct, we might be pushing the envelope again this year (fall, 2010).  As far as the range map goes, seems like we should add the Grand Valley to the text, and the Col River to the range?  For they have been reported from Debeque to Fruita.  And several years ago, one or two birds were summering along Plateau Creek (2006).

      What other locations / late dates can be added to the list?  I haven’t captured all of the reports, but I see a couple reports from the Paonia area.

      Has anyone seen the species in counties other than Montezuma, La Plata, Archuleta, Dolores, San Miguel, Montrose, Delta, Mesa, and Garfield?

      Black Phoebe

      Sayornis nigricans

      Record early date of 17 March was recorded.  Record late date of 9 October was recorded.  Change bar graph indicator to rare for the 2nd week in September.  Add a casual bar graph indicator for the 3rd and 4th weeks in September and the 1st and 2nd weeks in October.  Population of this species continues to increase as well as its range.  Range map should now include Mc Elmo Creek and Lower Dolores River in Montezuma County and Escalante Creek in Delta County. (Coen Dexter, 2010)