Black Phoebe Notes

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2011

      I had intended to post this last fall, but somehow miss-placed it and forgot about it.

      Anyway, for what it’s worth...

      Larry

      Re: range and seasonal expansion of Black Phoebe

      This species seems like a good candidate for discussion/observation, considering the several recent reports in Grand Valley, Mesa County.  Below is the text of Coen’s First Supplement to BOWC (2010) that he had emailed us earlier this year.  Considering the recent sightings in Mesa County and that prior late dates ranged 30 Sep – 09 Oct, we might be pushing the envelope again this year (fall, 2010).  As far as the range map goes, seems like we should add the Grand Valley to the text, and the Col River to the range?  For they have been reported from Debeque to Fruita.  And several years ago, one or two birds were summering along Plateau Creek (2006).

      What other locations / late dates can be added to the list?  I haven’t captured all of the reports, but I see a couple reports from the Paonia area.

      Has anyone seen the species in counties other than Montezuma, La Plata, Archuleta, Dolores, San Miguel, Montrose, Delta, Mesa, and Garfield?

      - - - - - - - - - - - -

      Black Phoebe

      Sayornis nigricans

      Record early date of 17 March was recorded.  Record late date of 9 October was recorded.  Change bar graph indicator to rare for the 2nd week in September.  Add a casual bar graph indicator for the 3rd and 4th weeks in September and the 1st and 2nd weeks in October.  Population of this species continues to increase as well as its range.  Range map should now include Mc Elmo Creek and Lower Dolores River in Montezuma County and Escalante Creek in Delta County. (Coen Dexter, 2010)

    • Brandon K. Percival
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2011
        This species has been wintering in small numbers along the Arkansas River in Pueblo and Fremont Counties, the last five years or so.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are found in winter in western Colorado at some point.

        Brandon Percival
        Pueblo West, CO

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2011
          Hey Larry,

          One county that I didn't notice is on your list is Gunnison.  There was a pair (confirmed breeding) in a culvert at the McCabe Wetland area near the Gunnison River near Gunnison a few years back.  I saw an adult carry nesting material into the culvert and apparently they were in the area for a few years, but haven't been there the past two as far as I know.  This is probably the highest elevation (~7500 ft) for the species in CO?

          Jason Beason
          Paonia - Delta County

          --
          Jason Beason
          Special Monitoring Projects Coordinator
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
            My personal observation is that the "new" birds of which I was aware circa 2005- 2006 have not been returning.  I can think of 6 locations where they had appeared and returned at least once. Since then, however, these locations have been vacated.

            On the other hand, I was aware of BLPH in two locations, in montezuma county and in san miguel for at least several years before the "new" phoebes showed up and I believe that those small better established populations continue to return.

            andrea robinsong
            leaving hotchkiss for the tropics

            On 1/10/2011 2:45 PM, larry arnold wrote:

[...]

          • Forrest Luke
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011

              I saw a pair of Black Phoebes at a bridge on the Arkansas River in Salida during summer 2009.

              Forrest

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2011
                Yeah, they are breeding in Chaffee County for sure, they have been there for a few years.  So far, they haven't had one there in the winter.

                Brandon Percival
                Pueblo West, CO