recent sightings

  • harris.bill57
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2011
      A couple of interesting bird observations recently. The first happened
      in my yard. It was a sunny day. Lots of birds around the feeder, when
      things suddenly got real quiet. After carefully scanning the trees in the yard I spied a sharpie in a small tree next to the patio. At first
      it seemed all the birds had vacated the area, but soon I noticed some movement in the desert holly near the sharpie. A few spparows were laying low trying to avoid detection. Suddenly the sharpie dove head
      first into the holly - a dense bush full of bristling pokies. The sharpie adeptly snagged a sparrow, then flew off.

      The second happened a few days ago while grandson, Gabe and I were walking/birding at Confluence Park in Delta. A cold, sunny day. Initially we saw few birds except the hordes of geese on the pond.
      Once we walked near the confluence things picked up abit, but nothing
      to write home about. Along the horse trail near the river Gabe caught some movement in the overstory of trees. It was a white-breasted nuthatch. Within the next 5-10 minutes we saw another nuthatch, a brown creeper, a downy woodpecker, several juncos, several mountain and black-capped chickadees and a few yellow-rumped warblers. Along the river we spied a few widgeons, mallards, common goldeneyes and many yellow-rumped warblers. As quickly as the birds appeared they were gone. After that brief onslaught nothing much to report except the usual mountain bluebirds in a cottonwood I see alot. It's interesting that the "flock" we encountered was so diverse. It could have been the habitat was suitable.

      Anyway - lots of fun - Bill Harris