Tree and Lincoln Sparrow

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2011
      Checked out some birding spots this afternoon. In the Nucla area there are several micro habitat areas that are south facing (warm in winter) with small drainages with streams that never freeze. There are surely a few rare wintering birds surviving in these areas. Today I found an American Tree Sparrow, hard to find wintering this far south, and a Lincoln Sparrow. I have never seen a LISP in January.
      My focus today was a Swamp Sparrow but failed again. In western Colorado only Moffat, Mesa, Delta, Ouray and Montezuma counties have records for SWSP.
      I did look for the Williamson's Sapsucker today but no luck. I understand that the Durango CBC found one a few days ago. Thanks, Brandon P, for the info.
      Happy birding,
      Coen