Tundra Swan, Rosy-Finches, American Tree Sparrow and Northern Shrike - Mesa County

  • Jacob C. Cooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi all,

      Larry and Missy Arnold and I did the Mesa CBC's Northwest section today and had a great start to the year. One of our first birds of the day was a young Tundra Swan sleeping on the ice, but unfortunately this bird was in a restricted access area and I cannot say the precise location. However, all of our other good birds were on a short stretch of V road just west if Collbran, which can be accessed with a 4wd vehicle. Larry quickly spotted a swarming mass of Rosy-Finches which contained over 400 birds here, the largest flock I think I have ever seen. Over half of the birds were Blacks, with a good number of Gray-crowneds mixed in and a handful of Brown-cappeds.  While watching the Rosy-finches flowing across the snowy desert, Larry spotted a Northern Shrike that was also checking out the large flock of finches before it darted back into the desert. Not ten minutes later, an American Tree Sparrow then flew in and landed next to me in a small bush! Overall, it was a great start to the new year.

      Happy new year everyone,

      --
      Jacob Cooper
      Mesa County, Colorado