leucistic house sparrow with pics, Hotchkiss (Delta Cty) CBC today

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Contagious from cooties given to me by my 7-year-old grandniece on Christmas, I was destined to bird alone (cough, cough) on the Hotchkiss CBC today, which would have been much more difficult had the birds been highly active.  As it was, the -5 starting temp and 3-8" of snow slowed it down enough for me to get through my area with no serious problems.

      Highlight of the day was a leucistic female house sparrow in with a flock of normal ones.  I did manage three photos, none of which are all that great, but enough to rule out a bunting (darn).

      Other birds seen today included a pipit, a snipe, several Lewis' woodpeckers (I had that area, luckily), a flock of bushtits, and what will be the high count of white-crowned sparrows.

      Photos of the leucistic sparrow and a few other birds (and a WABT) from today at http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/

      I need a nap.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia, Delta County