Sandhill Cranes flying over Lake Lenore

  • suehirshman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2010
      I was outside filling up the bird feeders and I hear and see the
      Sandhill cranes flying over at 1:20p.m. At first they headed east
      and then North, and I thought "my gosh where are they going"? I guess
      they were circling around getting higher and then they were flying south heading toward Ouray. It is bitter cold here, only 2 degrees and snow packed with snow showers off and on. You think the birds would pick
      a warmer day!!! Anyway, it is always wonderful to see and hear them.
      I must have 50 plus Steller Jays and they are enjoying all the food!!
      Just put out peanuts and you will get all kinds of birds.
      Stay warm, Sue of Lake Lenore
    • Sue Hirshman
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2014
        Greetings
        At noon there were 2 large groups of Cranes flying over.  I estimated 300 and then at 1:00 P.M.another group flew
        over. I could not tell how many were in this group.  I have one little Eared Grebe on a semi-frozen lake.  Hope
        he takes off soon.
        Sue Hirshman/Lake Lenore-Ouray
      • tpm282@...

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 17, 2014

            Yesterday (Sunday) I had nearly 550 cranes fly over and near my house on the east edge of Spring Creek Mesa in Montrose beginning about 8:00 am and continuing until about 10.  The first was a group of about 30 flying very low, so had started not far away.  I then had more than 500 flying in various sized groups with the early groups most  also quite low.  It is unusual to have cranes so early in the morning as typically they fly over between 11 and 1.  All the cranes that I see are flying south along the Uncompahgre River as though they are heading to Colona or Ridgway, so perhaps these are the same seen flying over Lake Lenore.  I was out later in the afternoon and saw a few very large groups – at least 300 total – flying very high and circling, and also heading south.  These must have started farther north and had gained considerable altitude by the time they reached Montrose.

            Jon Horn

            Montrose