Calliope in CFO Quarterly

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2010

      Re: Colorado Birds, 44:4, page 270 (April 2010), wherein Calliope Hummingbird (CAHU) is referred to as the second smallest bird in the world... Of course I had to verify this because I thought CAHU had competitors for this title.  Um, this is what I do in winter when birding slows down to ducks and geese, i.e., I am reduced to *reading* about birds!   ;-)

      Per the Handbook of the Birds of the World, Volume 5 (Hoyo, et al., Lynx Edicions, Barcelona), the following is what I gleaned for male hummingbirds, which are generally smaller than females:

      Calliope – 6.9-7.4 cm long, weighing 2.3-4 g

      Bee hummingbird – 5-6 cm, 1.6-1.9 g (generally accepted as the smallest of all birds)

      Snowcap – 6-6.5 cm, 2.5-2.6 g

      Wine-throated hummingbird – 6.5-7 cm, 2-2.6 g

      Scintillant hummingbird – 6.5-7 cm, 2.1 g

      Bumblebee hummingbird – 7-7.5 cm, 2-2.6 g

      And several of the Woodstars:

      Gorgeted – 5.8-6.4 cm

      Amethyst – 6-6.6 cm, 2.3-2.5 g

      Little – 6-7 cm

      Esmeraldas – 6-7 cm

      Rufous-shafted – 6-8 cm

      Help, I have Hummingbird Withdrawal Syndrome!

      Larry

      P.S.  Just for fun, and for the sake of comparison, I believe the smallest passerine species in the world is the Black-capped Pygmy-tyrant, at 6.5 cm and 5.2 g.  Take a look:

      http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/search2.cgi?species=Black-capped Pygmy-Tyrant