Ridgway, No. Pygmy-Owl Ouray

  • kent nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2010
      Hello, birders,

      Sue Hirshman, Mary Ann Dismant, Sam Rondinelli, and I birded Ridgway this afternoon, but didn't find the Tundra Swan.  At the same site, though, we found a Golden Eagle that twice landed on a nest on Log Hill Mesa.  At the reservoir, we had mostly the usual suspects, including five Hooded Mergansers, 11 W. Grebes, 1 D-c Cormorant, 5 Buffleheads, 1 Green-winged Teal, etc.  On the way back to Ouray, we spotted an odd Bald Eagle that had a white stomach -- white head, then three inches of brown, then white all the way to the tail.  From behind it looked normal.

      About a mile north of Ouray, a Northern Pygmy-Owl caught a mouse alongside the road and perched not too far away.  It then flew back across the road with the mouse and perched on the other side for a minute.  A nice end to the cold day.

      Kent Nelson
      Ouray