Results of Barrow's Goldeneye Count

  • Jason Beason
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2010
      This year's count total was pretty low - 148 Barrow's Goldeneye's were
      counted. I believe this is because of a combination of factors; many
      sites weren't visited and many of the sites that usually have Barrow's
      Goldeneyes didn't. It does seem that they might be staying in the
      mountain lakes longer. We can't really say much with the amount of
      effort put forth.

      Results:
      Bear Creek Reservoir – Jefferson County (visited but none present)
      Blue Lake – Eagle County (4)
      Blue Mesa Reservoir – Gunnison County (31)
      Clear Creek Reservoir – Lake County (not visited)
      Dillon Reservoir – Summit County (not visited)
      Eleven Mile Reservoir – Park County (not visited)
      Grand Lake – Grand County (visited but none present)
      Horsetooth Reservoir – Larimer County (not visited)
      Ice Lake – Chaffee County (not visited)
      Jerry Creek Reservoir – Mesa County (not visited)
      Lake Avery – Rio Blanco County (4)
      Lake Granby – Grand County (visited but none present)
      Mount Elbert Forebay – Lake (not visited)
      North Pond Park - Summit (not visited)
      Ranch at the Roaring Fork Ponds – Garfield (26)
      Rifle Falls Fish Hatchery – Garfield County (visited but none present)
      Rifle Gap Reservoir – Garfield County (8)
      Shadow Mountain Reservoir – Grand County (5)
      Silverthorne Sewage Ponds – Summit County (25)
      Spring Park Reservoir - Eagle County (100% Frozen)
      Stagecoach Reservoir - Routt County (not visited)
      Steamboat Lake – Routt County (not visited)
      Taylor Park Reservoir – Gunnison County (not visited)
      Union Reservoir – Weld (not visited?)
      Vega Reservoir – Mesa County (visited but none present)
      Yampa River (near Craig) – Moffat County (4)

      Other sites with Barrow's Goldeneyes this year:
      Craig Inlet Station - 8
      Ridway Reservoir - 2
      Catamount Lake - 2
      Lake Loveland - 1
      Windsor Res - 1
      Coryell Ranch Ponds - 26
      Prospect Lake (Downtown Co Springs) - 1

      Big "Thank You" to all that helped with the count this year! I will
      give more advanced notice next year.

      Jason Beason
      Special Monitoring Projects Coordinator
      Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory
      Paonia - Delta County
    • Jason Beason
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2013
        At total of 247 Barrow's Goldeneyes were reported 22 November through 2 December across the state. The average for the first 14 years of the count is 205 so we were well above average.

        Here is the list of places they were counted, county, and totals for each location:
        Shadow Mountain Reservoir (Grand) - 47
        Catamount Lake (Routt) - 44
        Frying Pan River (Eagle) - 35
        Blue River Water Treatment Plant (Summit) - 32
        Statecoach Reservoir (Routt) - 31
        Coryell Ranch (Garfield) - 15
        South Platte River @ 78th (Adams) - 11
        Ranch of the Roaring Fork (Garfield) - 10
        Lake Granby (Grand) - 4
        Vega Lake (Mesa) - 4
        Ice Pond (Chaffee) - 3
        McIntosh Reservoir (Boulder) - 3
        Rifle Gap Reservoir (Garfield) - 2
        Terry Lake (Boulder) - 1
        Timnath Reservoir (Larimer) - 1
        Ferril Lake (Denver City Park - Denver County) - 1
        Addenbrooke Park (Jefferson) - 1
        Lathrop State Park (Huerfano) - 1
        Union Reservoir (Weld) - 1
        (19 locations)

        Thanks to everyone that reported totals to CoBirds, West Slope Bird Network, and eBird!